Digital/ARC advice please!

yenotsneb

Hello!

I have a scalextric digital set with a 4 car powerbase. The powerbase has just gone pop, not sure why, but I'm now contemplating my options.

I have been using the track with my old non-digital powerbase and cars, but I'm looking at getting a new digital powerbase and I'm wondering whether to switch to an ARC powerbase.

My understanding is that if I want to use my the digital elements of my set (crossovers and cars), I would need to get an ARC Pro powerbase - is that right?

My other question is... is there a way of running non-digital cars through the ARC Pro powerbase? Obviously I would not be able to use digital elements like crossovers, but I wondered what features, if any, would work with non-digital cars.

Any advice welcome, many thanks!

Your PB4 failed , probably because it was over 10 years old.

If you swapped in just your analog power base before, then you will need to do nothing else to run the other digital/analog powerbases, but if you change the track design , you will have to follow the rules for analog only track building when running digital on a digital/analog track.

You have a choice of buying another used PB4 , usually at a low price.

Or buying an Advanced, which can be found used or new still and it will run both digital and analog , with a built in lap counter, using your current controllers and power pack.

Finally the Arc Pro  runs both digital and analog, with a lap counter that requires a cell phone or tablet, with wireless bluetoth controllers , while still using your current power pack.

Have all 3 and still use the simple PB4 for quick car id-ing and other things.

The Advanced is more advanced than the pro, with computer programs available  but it is outdated..

The latest version of the Pro is great and currently use it even with what I feel are quirks.

BTW  The crossovers your referr to are called changers and the current curves with an X on them are called crossovers, which must be used in pairs for analog.

Also you can use the straight dual changers and modified curve changers with analog tracks because they have lane power separation.

If you swapped in just your analog power base before, then you will need to do nothing else to run the other digital/analog powerbases, but if you change the track design , you will have to follow the rules for analog only track building when running digital on a digital/analog track.

Thanks for that, that's really helpful!

We change the layout fairly regularly as it's not a permanent setup and we use a variety of track that I've accumulated over the years. I'm not sure I know what the rules are for analog track building so please feel free to enlighten me! My understanding was that I could only use the old 'classic' track or newer 'sport' track for analog layouts and could only include digital track pieces with a sensor (such as pit lanes and changers, and cars with a digital chip) with a digital powerbase - but you're saying I could use the straight changers (thanks for the clarification on the lingo!) on an analog layout?

I'm currently using a powerbase from an old 'Scalextric Sport' set (probably at least 15 years old) and sport track with a pair of crossovers (the curve ones you describe). Before the PB4 went pop, I was using that with 3 straight changers and a pit lane.

I am leaning towards ARC Pro as I have young kids and I think the wireless controllers would be great, I also think my son would love the variety of race modes offered. So with the Pro, can you run analog cars with the wireless controllers? If so, I'm guessing that's limited to 2 cars at a time?

I also heard somewhere I'd need an exrtra power supply to run more than 3 cars - is that right? And for clarification, by 'power base' we're talking about the peice of track with the power base and by 'power pack' are we referring to the bit that plugs into the wall?

Sorry for all the questions! It's just that the Pro powerbase isn't cheap so I just want to make an informed decision!

Thanks again

WOW !!!   Think you pushed PB4 to the power limit with 3 straight changers, pitlanes, probably a lap counter, and cars.

Only way see that working is with a large track.

You are correct on definition of power base and power pack.

Analog track building is separate lanes required at all times while digital is all same lane ( except with original pro requiring separate lanes).

You need more info about Arc Pro, so read stuff here and especially at slotracer.online arc manual about versions available.

If it was me, with similar situations, would suggest waiting until the updated pro is available separately and just pick up another used pb4 during wait.

Here, because alot of the functions of the pro depends on the app and having compatible phone/tablet , have used spare pb4 powered off track  to run 4-6 lapcounter in track and as quick car id-er , so pb4 do come in handy. (3 power packs required , 2 for pro and 1 for pb4).

If that is not acceptable, suggest strongly buying a new 24hr lemans digital ginetta (?) set, (the updated pro is in it and you do not want to take chance that it was bought originally to switch out powerbase and returned with old version) .

The digital parts in this set are worth the cost by themselves.

My opinion of updated pro remains great but have issues with the latest H dpr chip installed while analog racing on just the pro (all other power bases have checked, analog and digital work fine with H on analog ), with only advised answers of do not use or remove chip or correct in app.

Hope that helps, gorp

My opinion of updated pro remains great but have issues with the latest H dpr chip installed while analog racing on just the pro (all other power bases have checked, analog and digital work fine with H on analog ), with only advised answers of do not use or remove chip or correct in app. 

Thanks so much, there's a lot of great advice in there! I have looked at slotracer.online, a great resource and certainly worth knowing about, thanks! 

My only remaining question is... what's meant by H dpr chip? I'm familiar with the dpr chip that goes in the cars for digital racing, is 'H' a new version of that?

Many thanks, I really appreciate your help!