Elite startup error

Phil Killeen

When i start up the elite the name hornby comes up then ERROR and the red light comes on . It happens every time and when the track link is not on. It is two weeks old and has worked perfectly til now. Is there anything i can do or does it go back to the supplier?

Press ESC - does this fix it.

Check there is no stray strand of wire across the terminals at the back.

If clear of any debris and it still will not boot when clear of the track it must have a fault.

You can try to power up with the LOCO button pressed. Release when you see Hornby on screen. It will do a self test, paint every pixel on screen

/media/tinymce_upload/2a155eff6e76c0ede9f88e2b5968fd86.jpg

and then come up pass or fail.

/media/tinymce_upload/df1bd4f62b55c8e49392f823e97a86c1.jpg

If it passes then you can press every button and twiddle every knob to confirm they work. Once finished power down and up again for normal boot.

If it fails you can tell your supplier what happened to reinforce your case when you ask for it to be replaced or fixed.

If you have a multimeter probe the TRACK terminals using AC Voltage scale.

What happens when you boot it. Do you see a surge followed by a drop in voltage indicating something is powering up then shutting down inside.

My original elite had the same problem after two weeks, that went back to Amazon. now the replacement that I bought last june from rails is waiting to go back to Hornby with the same issue, because of the lockdown they dont know when they can accept it. I am in a queue.  This is the second time this one has been back to Hornb. I am seriously considering a change to another brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I have an Elite which has stoppedt programming the the locos. I saw RAF96 post about self test so I have just tried it and showed pass. So I then pressed all the buttons and when it came to ACC the led turned red. Any help with this. 

Thanks Ken

To answer John first - the latest batch of Elites has bigger spring terminals as the old size are no longer available. To this end one of the Xpressnet ports had to go and the motherboard was redesigned to accommodate the moves. I doubt the electronics and programming is any different.

You should see this when pressing ACC

Red and Green Led on and Hornby 03 on screen.

/media/tinymce_upload/7b6e0a79518dd571575a4840061197bc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

RAF96 . Back in feb 2017 you had a conversation with Dazzler down under , titled " problems since 1.43 elite update " https://www.hornby.com/us-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/17739/?p=5 I'm returning to this conversation , because after quite a lengthy time in storage I'm finally in a position to start building my layout again, on starting up I noticed the very same situation with the elite as Dazzler ,I upgraded the elite to version 1.44 before my first connecting to track, thinking it would save time, I've done the loco button check and gotten the pass, my point however is , you touched on a subject ,  "codes stamped on the bottom" 38/11 or 17/08 , Yelrow stated his was 51/11 and you commented that he should do the loco test, that was the end of the conversation, as mine is 51/11 I'd like someone to expand on the subject, was my elite one of the " bad batch ? " 

Struggling to find the 'bad batch' ref in my files CJ. I will respond if and when I do find it, but the problem was (from memory) that that batch was possibly susceptable to Programming output failure, although I could be wrong about that - it is a long time ago for an old codger like me to recall stuff from.