BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 (87ft x 25ft)

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Just had a read through the master class , very interesting as I have a couple of Bachmann coaches that like to jump the track. Will have a good look when i have finnished relaying the track, I will try the mod on a coach.

Love the layout , oh for half of your space.

Derek 19B 😎

Hello Duke. You mentioned that it is gloomy in the workshop. I have just acquired one of those LED head lights and have already found it extremely useful for several purposes if a shade uncomfortable to wear for a long period. Perhaps that might be the answer for you. Best wishes, Jimbo.

Jimbopuff,

Great idea, where do you buy them when you live in the Spanish boon docks. 

As it happens I have some new LED strip lights, on the "layout Pelmets" seen in some of my recent posts. But to be honest a good old fashioned Fluroscent tube of nominally the same wattage is brighter, and only around 12% (€2 each) of the cost of the new LED version at €18 each.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - SAVE A FORTUNE ON YOUR ELECTRICALS !!! 

Most modellers nightmare is that ghastly job "wiring the layout". It doesn't really matter whether you are using "Analogue" or "DCC", there are a few major cost saving tricks shown below that can seriously reduce the cost of this otherwise expensive drudge. 

• 2 weeks later...

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67. Wiring & Signals.

I hope everyone has had a good Christmas. Here in Catalonia (Spain) Christmas & New year has been cancelled, a bit like the Hornby Forum really as that's, been cancelled and replaced with an insulting to modellers kiddy chat line

More wiring and signals now appearing all controlled by track circuits, just as in real life.

There is a wealth of hidden detail in the photographs, such as the holes in the platforms for steps down transfers between platforms, etc. Much planning that has to be done almost without thinking, that most folk do not realise is taking place alongside the ‘pretty’ bits. 

Great to see it slowly coming together in a fastidious but logical manner.

I shall pinch the led in a subway idea as I have such an entrance from ‘somewhere’ to my high level platform area by way of a set of steps leading from this subway pedestrian tunnel.

I will post pictures on my Russet Lines thread as and when.

The subway pedestrian tunnel is tiled, and when it's wet or damp, the floor is like an ice rink - can be very dangerous. When they introduced the "new" car park at the end of the tunnel, I managed to get in early and got a parking space very close to the tunnel entrance - useful when it was raining. The bays were numbered and you had a corresponding disc on your windscreen. Initially it cost £75 pa - when I retired in 2009 it was £1200! 

Bulleidboy,

No car parking charges at Mora la Nova station, no subway (or footbridge) either. Indeed you have to walk across the railway tracks to get to the right platform for your train, and dodge the fast moving freights that rush through the station. Anything can happen in Spain....

Quick layout update,

Just completed all the wiring for the two track Salisbury line, which includes the new fiddle yard, point motors and even the semaphore signals are now in place. See the last few posts showing pictures of progress on this section of the layout. Should have a few more pictures in a day or so, of trains on the move....

Hi Duke

It was interesting to read recently thatBasingstoke & Deane Borough Council are seeking to re-open Oakley Station !

I am sure Bulleid Boy will know more than me, but it would seem a strong contender for re-opening !

Please keep the photo's coming as I find your modified layout absolutely fascinating

Thank You

JoeH

/media/tinymce_upload/fd8feb7f857559b9a1529a7dc31d3537.jpg

Joe

Indeed re-opening Oakley station was mentioned recently here on this thread. A new station might however be positioned on the Southampton line, as much of this expanding village is nearer to that line than the Salisbury line.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - AWKWARD COACHES. 

Well it has been chaos here in Spain as the country has been hit by vicious winter weather with 8 inches of snow here in Mora. Most Spaniards have never seen this white stuff before. As a result driving in snow on summer tyres has resulted in hundreds of car crashes. Indeed the centre of Spain with -25C temps has been declared a disaster zone. (Hundreds of people have died). No snow ploughs or gritting lorries has prevented me from getting to the workshop until now, where the temp has just hit +11C despite piles of snow. Floods next I guess. Anything can happen in Spain....

Network Rail said sometime ago that the reopening of Oakley station was not even on the radar - it would not even be considered. The question pops up now an again.  There was talk of Chineham having a railway station before Chineham was even built, but it never happened. So I think we can forget the possibilities of either ever happening.

Great work Duke - due to the size of your layout, when you see a train it looks rather isolated. 

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - MORE SCENERY !

As the unexpected sub zero snowy weather here in Spain is passing, and temperatures are climbing back to something more normal, it's time to get back to some layout construction. Having completed the basic Salisbury line Fiddle Yard including wiring it all up, a couple of weeks ago. I'm now adding the finishing touches, timber wise, and starting on some more scenery for this section, as seen in the pctures below.