Another DCC controller

ben39uk

Hi Folks After buying a Graham furnish class 66 with sound for £350, The train ran perfectly when using my Hornby Select but I could not get access to all the functions (cab lights)because the Select will only go to F9, so I bought a Hornby E link for £80 which does give me the functions but whatever I do in settings, after reading tips in the Forums, the train will only run about 1 mph around the track, I tried deleting class 66 and setting it as a virgin express and it still only crawls, totally useless, I tried the set scale speed on and off, I tried different settings in the setup, nothing,  back to the select and runs perfect, so I’m looking for recommendations on buying a different DCC controller, any suggestions, not too expensive, and dumping this E link

Why not just get your Select updated to the latest firmware. That will give you access to the full F0-F28 function range, plus the ability to write to all CVs.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

PS - As this forum is provided by Hornby Hobbies there is a forum rule that forbids actively promoting non Hornby competing products. So nobody can actively recommend an alternative DCC branded controller anyway.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Contact Hornby Customer Service and obtain a returns number then send your Select back for Firmware upgrade to version 1.6 or  2.0  This will allow all Functions to be accessed and write CVs too plus generally upgrade the DCC. Cost is £15 plus VAT and includes return P & P. 😎

Post posting note Chrissaf has beaten me!

Yelrow   Ye bought it brand new 2 weeks ago from Rails Of Sheffield my Class 37 runs fine just the 66 has major problems

Ericm0hff  Yes sorry I should have said it was N gauge

Chrissaf and Flashbang   Thanks for the heads up I will post my select of for update, but really liked the thought of PC control with Elink, Class 37 (Furnish) runs perfectly and all functions work. 66 is rather a waste of time I have even reset all the CVs to default apart from 3,4 and 5 which I have adjusted and no difference was found they are now set to 150,240,and 255 respectively. And I thought all this was going so well 

howbiman - afraid I can't find any Graham Farish loco's in the database I tried all the 66s I could find but they all gave the same result were they O gauge ?? I ask myself.  I then basically input my own photo of a 66 and set the numbers as peeps recommend in the forum but still no speed difference.

Thanks RAF 96 - Crikey that might help how do I do that and where is the file to edit  

Read Page 32 / 33 of the RailMaster manual.

Extract from Page 33 below.

/media/tinymce_upload/156fee5580e8e79f081f6dd5a81542db.jpg

Graham Farish is NOT a Hornby brand, it is a Bachmann brand. So obviously not listed as an option.

Use the Bluish COG icon in the bottom left of the 'Help Screen' to open the .INI file editor.

Personally, I believe this is probably why you are having issues with this loco in RM. You are trying to use a Hornby defined profile in RailMaster for a non Hornby branded loco.

I suggest you follow my guidance for adding a non Hornby brand loco to RM posted in this thread.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r3459tts-decoder-not-recognized-23469/

The link above gives 'in principle' guidance which you will need to adapt as necessary. If your loco is not a 'sound' one, then ignore the guidance given on 'sounds'.

The main thing not to do, is to use the search the database field in RM. The one where you would normally type in the R number. This does not stop you using this field as described in 'Step 3' of my guidance to load the manually added GF Class 66 image.

Following this guidance (after deleting your original attempt at loading this loco from the database), will also mean that you will be following the guidance of others to delete the loco and add it again. Only this time, you will be adding the loco with a slightly higher possibility of success.

Now that you are not using the Hornby profile database. There is still something you can do if you want it to go even faster.

Increase the speed using my TIP in this thread [my replies 8th and 10th posts down on the page].

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/class-08-db-schenker-08623-with-tts-sound/?p=1

PS - You do need to take into account that the quoted manual pages were written for 4mm scale 00 Gauge and not 2mm scale N Gauge. So distances travelled would be half for the same scale speed. Again, it is the 'principle' of the guidance given that should be followed.