hornby elite

john_goodwin1

The Elite has separate terminals 'TRACK A&B' and 'PROG A&B'. The 'TRACK' output for the layout track and the 'PROG' output for the programming track. Thus you do not need to disconnect the 'TRACK' output to perform programming tasks on the 'PROG' output.

The 'Select' however does not have separate terminals, thus with a Select controller you MUST disconnect the track and connect the programming track piece to the same Select track terminals in place of the main layout track connection. If you don't, then any decoder still connected to the main track whether that be a loco or an accessory decoder will have their configurations overwritten.

You may have seen recommendations to disconnect the Elite main track output when performing programming tasks on the programming track. But that is only a 'workaround' that might help if the user has problems with a decoder accepting programming.

It's probably not necessary, but as I have a lot of programmed loco's on the track, I find it easier to disconnect - just in case - when setting up a new loco on the programming track. I'd rather waste five seconds disconnecting two wires - than have to re-programme my entire fleet, if something goes daft!   😛

The problem is not so much the chance of reprogramming the whole of the main but that folk have as Chris said reported problems programming when the main was connected. The suggested workaround was to disconnect the main so that it could not interfere with the programming output.

Others however like yourself have not seen the problem.