Non DCC Ready conversion

FinnerZ

I would just like to warn people that some model shops may advertise themselves as doing DCC conversion, but won't on non DCC ready locos. I wanted my old tender driven Mallard converted but the model shop that my grandfather took it to said that it couldn't

be converted. When I got my hands on a bunch of decoders, I did it myself along with a tender driven Flying Scotsman and a Eurostar - the only problem with the Mallard is that the bar between loco and tender is breaking, and works fine on DCC. I just wanted

people to be aware that if they're told by a shop their loco cannot be converted, it isn't necessarily true.

I have the advantage of loving trains (both real and model), electrics, new technology and physics - it's one of my favourite subjects. We did a bit of soldering in year 7 to make a fuse tester and now it's quite natural to me. I've naturally had a few

small burns but the biggest accident was when I was stuck with my layout in my sister's bedroom and I accidently melted a small hole in her new curtains - she wasn't happy.

Archived