Loco running with select controller on zero

philandsue

recent convert to model railways, generally going well. i have an end to end layout with turnrounds at both ends. Initially 0-6-0 tank loco 9set on 03). Recently aquired 'Maude' , gioes very well generally with sound, although firmware update needed for some sounds. I do have an intermittent problem, however. When I switch on with Maude on tracks controller initially shows 03, before i can change loco address Maude (01) starts moving in a forward direction with controleer art zero, only stops when power switched off. Any ideas?

What do you mean by a 'turnround' at each end?

It seems that dc running on the decoder has not been set to off, and Maud is responding to a noise spike, either dirty track, wheels, or pickups, or a dodgy wire connection could cause this.

If you power up the select, with Maud OFF the track, then put her on, does she immediately shoot off at speed? 

-

The numbers displayed on the Select, on power up, are just telling you what update status the controller has installed.

(Edited for typo's)

When you say the firmware needs updating for more sounds I take it you mean the Select can only operate F0-F4 (very early revisions), F0-F8 (later revisons) whereas you want to be able to operate all 29 functions F0-F28 (revision 1.5 or later). As Eric said the numbers seen at start up tell you the firmware version first (10 to 20 = version 1.0 to 2.0) then the hardware state (30) then the default loco address (03) confirming the Select has correctly booted and is ready for use.

You then have to input a loco address and press Select to gain control of that loco.

Depending upon your Select version, Loco Zero (DC) running may be default ON or OFF. You can set this to OFF by resetting the Select per the manual and making the choice when it is presented in the reset sequence.

You could check in the meantime that Loco Zero has not been used previously by mistake and left with throttle applied. To do this input 0 then press Select and turn the speed knob to fully up and back to zero again. Watch out for any locos racing off. The reason for this is DC running uses what is known as stretched zero bit logic to produce a DC polarity bias at the rails and this can affect normal DCC running, which is why many manufacturers no longer support it on their controllers and why most others recommend you turn it off both at the controller and on every loco decoder by adjusting CV29. Your Select controller will not he able to change CVs if it is not version 1.6 or 2.0 (pre/post facelift).

@phil&sue.........have you tried resetting the Select?

Press & hold the Stop button + the two arrow buttons. the LCD will display "C5" (Command Station)

Press Select. The LCD will display "0"

Press Select. The red LED will flash 5 times to confirm the settings.

The LCD will display "03" and will now be restored to Factory settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments and apologies for not responding sooner. When i said 'turnround' i probably should have siad 'Runround' - getting loco to correct end of train for return trip.

I have tried resetting the select and i have solved that problem - another has occured but i will put that as seperate topic.

I am waiting to return controller to hornby for updating firmware so that i can use all sounds available.