Collector club loco

Paul Cotterill

I have mine too, not tried to convert it to DCC yet, however I believe it is not DCC ready and you have to use a soldering iron and follow these notes (which are for a different body on the same chassis):

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/standard-0-4-0-decoder-installation-guide

Note: being new to this I hope I have the correct info

Colin Weaver

It is easier to fit the Hornby R7274 4-pin decoder with just four wires..........Grey & Orange to the motor, Red & Black to the pickups........also remove the small yellow suppression capacitor, it is not needed on DCC.......here's one I made earlier...........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/7674bb798a710dbcf8579af9cbdc6e21.jpg

Check when you remove the body to do your installation whether the motor is mounted with the terminals pointing down, or pointing up.  The guide assumes they are pointing down so has all the steps to remove the motor to get at them, then to replace it.  

If the terminals are pointing up, you don't need to remove the motor.  It's a simple conversion of unsolder everything from the motor terminals, discard any and all components then solder decoder red and black to the pickup wires each side, then orange and grey to the motor terminals. Doesn't matter which side red and black go but the loco goes backwards if you get orange and grey reversed.  Test with the body off and swap them if you get them wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Howbiman ad Fishmanoz - I just converted mine with the 4 pin decoder and my motor terminals were pointing upwards too. I did have to reverse the direction of travel to match my other locos (which I guess is to do with which side of the motor you attach the grey and oraange wires to)

Bit of a tight fit to get the body back on afterwards ;)