Loosing power

Mushyhead

Hi I have a hot pursuit x2 scalextric. When I run one car it runs fine I then run two cars it's fine for about 5 minutes then the cars start to lose power then just stop all together and the red indicator goes off. Any ideas? It has two slots for two transformers do I need two to run two cars at same time ? I'm new to the scalextric world so please be gentle

The hot pursuit X 2 sport set was marketed in first decade of this century.

It follows a hot pursuit classic set in the 90s

The X2 contains the best scaly analog powerbase which can use 2 powerpacks.

It also contains the great battery powered lapcounter.

Had to search net for awhile to find it and get some info.

Yes oil and lube it, after first opening up the car and cleaning out any dust and debris.

Have bought supposedly bad cars that have hair wrapped around gears and axles and only needed a cleaning to run great again.

Any used set will have cars that may have way more than enough magnets or even lead added, drawing more power.

Braids need need to be clean too and possibly guide replaced.

The track itself ,  top and bottom, needs to be cleaned and if track is on floor, it will also pick up dirt.

Once all this is done , then a simple test oval created with powerbase on one side and balancing straight on opposite side and couple 180s of standard curves.

Run this for awhile and see if problem returns.

If ok, then add more track.

If cars fail again, problem could be those old motors are shot or powerpack is going too.

Only way to know is to test other cars on track.

And yes this powerbase works alot better when more matching power is added.

The cars are stopped, so did you ever get them running again and how ?

Yes by turning off the power at the plug and back on again works again for awhile then they stop this is only when I'm running two cars and I've cleaned them inside I can't see it been because the motors are clogged as they run fine with just one car on the track only happens when it's two on the track 

So nothing added inside the cars and you have no other cars to test with ?

Wheels turn ok and gears turn easy ?

What happens when both cars slow down and you take 1 off ?

Is the motor hot ?

If BOTH cars can run separately on BOTH lanes, with powerbase switch is on left for 1 powerpack ,

then my guess is the powerpack is problem because something is drawing more power than 2  normal scaly cars would require.

When adding or replacing , it is best to have matched pair.

Scaly made these originally to put out AC and powerbase changed them to DC.

The AC packs are hard to find and the last version sold was DC packs.

Believe many years ago there was a problem with people switching from AC to DC because it burned out ACDC in powerbase  but cannot remember now.

Anyway have switched mine from AC to DC with no problem.

You might check with Alan Smith at 132 slotcar.us about it  since he ran scaly usa in early 2000s and beieve he does their repairs still and he might even have powerpacks still but doubt it.

The DC packs may be found here or at Pendle in old world or believe bought them from Electric dreams in new world. but was a while ago.

So nothing added inside the cars and you have no other cars to test with ?

Wheels turn ok and gears turn easy ?

What happens when both cars slow down and you take 1 off ?

Is the motor hot ?

If BOTH cars can run separately on BOTH lanes, with powerbase switch is on left for 1 powerpack ,

then my guess is the powerpack is problem because something is drawing more power than 2  normal scaly cars would require.

When adding or replacing , it is best to have matched pair.

Scaly made these originally to put out AC and powerbase changed them to DC.

The AC packs are hard to find and the last version sold was DC packs.

Believe many years ago there was a problem with people switching from AC to DC because it burned out ACDC in powerbase  but cannot remember now.

Anyway have switched mine from AC to DC with no problem.

You might check with Alan Smith at 132 slotcar.us about it  since he ran scaly usa in early 2000s and beieve he does their repairs still and he might even have powerpacks still but doubt it.

The DC packs may be found here or at Pendle in old world or believe bought them from Electric dreams in new world. but was a while ago.

Nothing been added to the cars, wheels and gears turn no problem and the motor is a little hot

OK time for you to do your own diagnosis.

Buy an ohm/multimeter.

They are not that expensive.

The only constant in this puzzle is power.

Measure power output of powerpack alone before plugging into track.

Measure voltage on track at powerbase after controllers are set by rubberband or tape.

Put cars on track.

When cars start to slow down, take both off.

Measure voltage on track again.

Disconnect powerpack from track and measure voltage again.

If track and powerpack alone remain same voltage , then problem is cars.

If powerpack alone has lowered , then problem is powerpack.

If only track at powerbase has lowered , then problem is powerbase.