Fixing track to foam board ?

Kevin Hodges

Kevin  , you have a post that does not show up on the forum - click on your name to see it.

As for the foam, since you have not apparently received your set yet, are you asking about foam over a whole table for a permanent layout  or just to build runoff aprons for a less permanent one ?

Probably will depend on how thick the foam is.

Thin stuff will need a board backing.

As for gluing down , you should try testing 1 piece and not the powerbase or changer , before you go that route.

And do not forget , a permanent design is permanent , not giving you a chance to change your design or correct problems underneath including frequency of arc pro.

Thanks gorp,

I can see the issues with a permanent layout. The foam is XPS 50mm thick and would be supported on trestle tables.

My set arrived today. I didn't realise how hefty the box is. I can see the weight of that foam (already quite heavy for foam) plus the weight of all the track and accessories could make it very unweildly.

I might just set it up on the lounge room floor for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Kev.

You should put the foam on the floor first and set up on it, to get an idea of space you have to work with.

Personally believe 4 is too narrow for many choices of designs - run my test track on same but basically oval with r2 after long straight , leading to shorter straight with r2 dip, into r1 curve.

Everyone of the curves have to be slowed down for in different degrees and throw in 2 straight lane changers and backup separate powered digital and analog lap counters  to fill the 10.

You could get some plastic folding tables for deeper width , then set up and tear down, storing them where foam was going.

Once you start trying different track designs, it will come faster and easier , while tearing down goes quickly and easier when flipped over on table to see connectors

Your very welcome Kev.

As an antique in this hobby , have learned from others, many long gone, that sloting is a hobby that is not really about winning , but to have fun.

Yes give advice , most is correct but sometimes is wrong , but so is life.

We learn from our successes and failures.

gorp