Attempting to relive my childhood

Bindo Dundid

After about 20+ years I have somehow come across my old scalextric set I had as a child. It's a pretty sweet mini set that costed 250 dollars Canadian at the time. Although I don't have the minis. I don't know if they got tossed at some point but I do have 2 DTM cars, a white and yellow #9 Opel and a #3 black Mercedes.

This had me pretty chipper until I hooked it all up and realized there is some sort of short in the track itself. Causing both controllers to accelerate both cars. Also, my beloved childhood Mercedes has dry rot tires in the back.

Should I try and fix the short circuit? Would it be easily diagnosed because the only real wired bit is the part that you plug the wires into? Also, can I find tires for these DTM cars from the 90s?

Scalextric is no longer available in Canada so I'll have to order from the US for when/if I get tires. But should I just try and buy another power base or are the components vastly different now for compatibility? 

Thanks!

There was a digital only set in early 2000s with minis.

At the price you paid , that might be what you have , due to the runaway problem, usually caused by chip.

If so there are better choices today, even in used digital only or modern digital/analog powerbases.

As for tires, try ebay for different companies (indygrips were great back in the day) and there is a guy in your country that has many types available (highly recommend).

From the the picture it looks like you have analog lane changers (crossovers) and those must be used in pairs otherwise one controller controls both lanes.

Whenever bringing slot cars and tracks back to life always start slow and work your way up. Just make a simply small oval and keep adding track.

The track in the picture appears to be in very good condiiton so apart from tightening the electrcal connections I doubt you will have much trouble. Do wipe them all down with a dry, lint-free clothe.

Spare parts are readily available and there may even be a Canadia supplier. Where in Canada are you?

The tires in  question are a standard size so finding them should be no problem.

Slot cars had a bit of a bigger renaissance in Canada than the US back in the mid 2000s.