Triang R473 station building

Martin3rdRai

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Note: Forum has a BUG at present that prevents making URL links clickable and also prevents any images being posted.

During the early and mid 1960's the modernization plan was well underway.  Many older stations were razed and rebuilt with new Image arhitecture.  London Euston is possibly one of the worst examples of why the concept went wrong.

as far as the Tri-ang series is concerned, they were not based on any particular prototype.  They simply represented what was happening in the real world.

in my own opinion, Tri-ang models look better than the then new prototypes; at least they were bricked.

One thing I always questioned was the ramp shape.  I can see why it saved space when used in conjunction with second radius curves, but never seen anything like them in the real world.

A quick tip: I could get not get Sarahagain's link to work, however there is enough information provided to find the referenced thread. 

Use the Search Forums option near the right side of the forum pages (under the Add New Topic button and enter the following text:

Vintage Triang 

Hi Martin3rdRail

It is a Toy Building which is very representative of the then modern image station buildings that where being built  in the 1960's during the wrecking of OOP'S I mean modernization of the railways

it would be based on but not an accurate model of somewhere

Like the Hornby Dublo art-deco plastic buildings although toys they have a very railway like presence?? feel ?? to them that the modern printed things just don't have.

IMHO the older and ancient Triang and Dublo buildings are things that should be sort out for use instead of the modern printed things as they need very little work to make them look the part.

Often no more than a paint job and a few well chosen accessories.

Like HornbyinNC I have reservations on the Triang / modern Hornby platform ramp shape as I have never seen any real ones that shape, but it helps get a slightly longer platform in coming off a second radius curve.

regards John

I do have a fondness for this series of buildings. They are considered crude by some indeed I dont know what Hornby were thinking of when they released them in bright red! However they can be made to look very realistic and quite amazing with a bit of painting, detailing and weathering.. I've made a few old red R145 signal boxs look quite convincing by just toning down the red and washing over the mortar course. I have a R146 engine shed awaiting the same treatment. My favourite items in this series are the station buildings. A station complex made up from this series looks quite impressive with the clock tower building (which was later used as a single story terminus building) used as a top story over a pair of the ticket office buildings. 

The bug is also effecting the editing of posts with links....so I failed to be able to edit the original post.

Another go at a link on the uk site...

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/vintage-trianghornby-ticket-office-prototype/

The buildings were originally produced in a darker, more maroon plastic. The bright red plastic was a Hornby Railways 1970s modification...along with the later black plastic roof with the canopy part left black...the original roofs were cream plastic, painted black, with the canopy part masked off and left cream...

The original second storey with the clock tower isn't that common, it didn't sell very well, as it needed two ticket offices as well as two sets of steps, and the second storey...an expensive station indeed!

The second storey was retooled to have a set of doors added to each side, to make a stand alone building. I think that this was released in bright red, under Hornby Railways, 1970s again...