A few Novice questions...

Roger1707821911

Hi Everyone...

Just a brief Intro/Explaination...

When I retired about 10 years back, I started a smallish N gauge  (DC) layout.

Now, my manual dexterity is failing so I decided to change to OO gauge.

I also wanted to try DCC, so I bought a Hornby GWR mixed freight set.

I have not yet set things up (still in the box) and have a few questions :..

1/    Is it possible to run a DCC ready (but unequiped) loco on a DCC setup?

2/    Will Hornby points carry the power coreectly without those little wire clips?

3/    I see in the Hornby catalogue that some locos are being sold with sound fitted

will these work no my setup?

Thanks in advance

Chalford

1 ) No (OK there is an exception to this in that you can enable Loco 0 control and in theory run one DC loco,  but it is not recommended and you run a risk of damaging the motor in the DC loco)

2) Hornby Points isolate one rail on the side that is not the current path - if you don't want to move the second DCC loco in this isolated path then you don't need the wire clips (or a separate track connector instead of the clips). However I believe the set of points that are  supplied in the set already have the clips fitted (my version of the set had them pre-fitted)

3) Yes sound fitted DCC locos will work with the Select controller in that set (in fact I have the same set and added a DCC + TTS chip to my Sir Nigel Gresley loco and it works fine)

You should check the Select firmware revision state at startup 

...XX then 30 then 03

If XX is 15 (v1.5) then you can operate all TRS sound functions (F0 to F28). 

If XX is less than 15 then you should consider getting it updated by return to works at Hornby - Call HCC and ask for a returns number for the task. Cost £18 plus your postage One way.

If XX is 16 (v1.6) or even 20 (v2.0 post facelift Select) then you are home and dry. V1.6 and V2.0 are functionally identical just for different production batch units.

As Rob said above. Watch the Select screen as you power it up. If the firmware is version 1.6, the number 16 will be the very first number to briefly appear on screen.

Regarding the firmware....

I have just opened the manual and, within the booklet was an aditional printed page

explaining the features of V16... so I am thinking that the firmware may be V16.

You should confirm this by watching the screen at start up. Its not on there for long.