MRE POLL

LCDR

If you haven't already seen the poll here are the Wish List Top Ten with number of votes cast.

BR Mk2d/e/f Air-conditioned stock (253)
BR 4-wheel CCT (Diag.816) (251)
LSWR/SR S15 4-6-0 (30496-30515, 30823-30847) (250)
BR 8P Duke of Gloucester

4-6-2 (71000) (238)
BR Mk1 TPO Stowage Van (e.g. Diag.722) (236)
LSWR 700 Black Motor 0-6-0 (30306-30701) (233)
Class 120 Swindon Cross-Country 3-car (232)
LSWR 0415 Adams Radial 4-4-2T (30582-30584) (228)
BR 2MT 2-6-0 (78000-78064) (228)

BR Mk1 TPO Sorting Van (e.g. Diag.721) (224)

Mmmmmm interesting ....................

A number of the Most Wanted items Hornby could make with ease but show no inclination, such as the S15 when they have all the N15 parts, the Unrebuilt Merchant Navy when they have all the Rebuilt Merchant Navy parts, The Duke of Gloucester etc etc.....
It's

hard to understand their thinking processes sometimes. Is there a master plan? Or do they just do it with a pin?

I don't know how Hornby do it but I have had an insight into how others do it, and I can assure you a lot of thought goes into it. Cost of tooling is a consideration but also it has to be saleable. Polls like this do influence choices, but also they are

only one method of testing the market, and special interest groups are often consulted.

• 2 weeks later...
i have to say even if it was all made tomorrow i would not bay any of that list seems that the only voters to that list are the southerners.i know the duke was not a southern loco but would it sell that will a one off i would rather bay another Britain

my self

as to this forum being official hornby polls for new products i would say there are a lot of the same bods doing the talking on hear not that i mind but you could not run a company on the thoughts of what they want along.

253 votes isn't much to go on. I hope Hornby don't make their plans from that.
The online polls have a list of models you can vote for as I remember. You can't suggest something that isn't listed. So if you'd like Stephenson's Rocket or Sans Pareil,

for instance, you've got no chance.
I don't suppose many shoppers know about the online suggestion form either. Could be a good idea for Hornby to put a slip in model boxes with the link to the suggestion form URL.

i agree

There seem to be a number of distinct markets, and it must be very difficult to satisfy them all.

These range from entry level kid proof train sets for the very young, through to highly detailed and accurate scale models for the 50/60 something

train collector, and a vast range of shades in between. Hornby actually seem to have got the balance just about right. There are of course people like me who like items across most of the range, from little 'Nellie' to the latest rebuilt West Country. I treasure

my Ever Ready Tube train as much as I love my latest DCC Sound fitted 'Schools'. It is the hobby I think drives me.

However there will always be the critics. We used to refer to rivet counters, a derogatory concept for someone who could condemn a meticulous

scratch built locomotive because there were thirty four rivets on the tender and not thirty five as per prototype! These 'RC's had never built a model in their life! In the 1980s I belonged to a gang of railway enthusiasts who descended on to railway yards

armed with cameras, tape measures, notepads and coloured pens, to record every possible variation of BR goods wagon we could find (and we found a great many!) from that a number of us produced scale drawings, which eventually got published in various books

and magazines. We were 'rivet-counters' in real life, because we had to get the drawings dead accurate. However we discovered that when faced with a series of similar railway wagons (say for example the 16 ton Mineral Wagon) usage, repairs and product development

often meant that the one next door was different! We could become obsessive about collecting every variation, but I am pleased to say we became pragmatic instead. A lot of film was expended, however.

As is said many times, this hobby, thankfully, a

broad church with room for all sorts. If people are prepared to pay for detail to the umpteenth degree, so be it, and if someone else wants a loco or carriage that can withstand the rough and tumble of daily use that is good too. It is however unrealistic

for us to expect the commercial suppliers to cater for everyone's needs. When I consider the vast range avalable today when compared to the limited choice that was on offer in (say) 1960, it doesn't bear comparison. I remember reading magazine articles on

how to convert a Tri-ang Princess to a Black 5. At the time the finished object did not look half bad!

I do sometimes wonder what direction the hobby will go in the future. I still enjoy making my own models from kits, cut & shut ready to run, and from

scratch. BUT I also like the new models that are coming out ready to run. Will the makers of kits and bits succumb to the ever expanding range of models being turned out in Chinese factories? I hope not!

Aye, the 'booster' articulated to the tender does give it an odd appearance! While I was looking for it I found a picture of Wilson Worsdell's C8. What a strange looking beast this one was. In some ways it has some similarity with the pre-War Hornby gauge

'O' 4-4-2s which were 'badge engineered' variations on their 'Nord' Atlantic.

There are enough Southern wierdies to go at before I think about anything from other regions.

I remember that slip, my Late Father filled it out, he always wanted an Air Smoothed Merchant Navy.

And did he want a 4COR as well??

Archived