JASDF 'Blue Impulse'

0taku

I recently acquired a copy of Airfix 1/72 NA F86F Sabre, I intend to build it as a 'Blue Impulse' Japans own aerobatic demonstration team aircraft, I have good images of the really attractive blue and white paint job and the right shade of blue paint courtesy of Mr Color (no humbrol equivalent I could find?) what I need is an aftermarket decal set of JASDF national markings and registration numbers and letters applicable to the Japanese airforce

Any ideas where i could source such things?

Hello Otaku

I am not sure about colours for the beautiful  "Blue Impulse" colour scheme but just one point on the Airfix F-86F. It really represents the F-86F-25-NA through F-86-35-NA production with the original short span wing and the hard leading "6-3" leading edge (ie no slats).

JASDF aircraft were F-86F-40-NA that used a longer span wing that had a slatted 6-3 leading edge. The span is about 3 feet longer than the earlier models. The slats were reinstated on the "6-3" leading edge to improve low speed handling.

Tim

Thanks Tim, such things really don't bother me too much, it's a Sabre, superficially, it's the same thing, if anyone says anything I'll call it a 'what if'!

Now, if i marked up a MiG15 or a Hawker Hunter as 'Blue Impulse' that would be a stretch too far! Ha!

Thanks for your reply

I would get on to every possible forum and Facebook group and see if I could beg a set that anybody might have going spare from a Fujimi or Hasegawa F-86 Blue Impulse edition.

Yep, you're right, and I am looking, but I might have to be a little more innovative with the masking tape if I don't find a suitable set! I didn't know of the Fujimi kit, I'll look into that for sure, it's not a too taxing a paint job really just white and blue, I built an A&AEE Javelin a while ago, that took some masking up to get right!

Is it me or has the scale modelling forum lost some of it's vigour! I see L&C BM UAMF ATF all still exist, but not as busy as I remember for some time ago when I was more active, 

Is it me or has the scale modelling forum lost some of it's vigour! I see L&C BM UAMF ATF all still exist, but not as busy as I remember for some time ago when I was more active

One word. Facebook.

Don't understand? why does a social networking thing affect a forum dedicated to model building? If anything, I thought it maybe we're the last of a generation of model builders, do kids build model kits nowadays? Surely there isn't the 'instant gratification' they all were brought up with to have the patience to actually put some effort into achieveing a result of which they can be proud, seems like those values have long gone, they choose the path of least effort for maximum gain! they really don't have to wait for anything!! 

Remember this. . . 

'Please allow 28 days for delivery'

Don't understand? why does a social networking thing affect a forum dedicated to model building? If anything, I thought it maybe we're the last of a generation of model builders, do kids build model kits nowadays?

There's literally dozens of Facebook groups dedicated to modelling, ever since I set up my own Facebook account some years ago I've been observing the drift toward Facebook and away from forums. One such Facebook group has over 24k members. Facebook has an immdicacy lacking in forums and you can post images without the need for image hosting. Lots of people are posting their work or asking questions about modelling on Facebook. One area where it falls down is in archiving. Forums can be structured and archiving is a doddle. That makes them superior for doing a build thread or posting walkaround images, the pages are relatively easy to search and find. As for junior modellers, we are by no means the last generation, there's plenty of young blood coming through.