Bassett-Lowke Steampunk Models

JJ73

That above link works for me about the 10cm figure!!!

The link is fine JJ.

The error is the product page referring to the model being suitable for use with Ho/OO stuff when it is obviously a stand alone figurine that would look out of place amongst its lesser chums.

I think all the fuss from die hard Bassett-Lowke fanbois is funny and if I am honest, rather pathetic. It's up to Hornby (not my favourite company at the moment) how they want to use logos they own. I wouldn't personally buy a steam punk loco for me but I did buy one for a 6 year old and he really liked it. Ultimately what you and I all think is not important. The sales figures will decide on the success or not of it. It is far too early to judge that, so the comment about poor sales is nonsense. Hornby didn't make the range for die hards and they are open about that. They want a new generation of model railway anoraks and to get them, they may have to try out different ideas. They have also explored other genres, if that is the right term.

From what I can see, Steam Punk is growing in popularity, so the comment about having it's day a few years ago may not hold water either. I know of people (not me) recently getting into it, going to events and having a great time and none who were into it and have now lost interest.   

@ Raf - Oh I see - yes a 10 cm figure would not look right against HO/OO - it would have to be about 2.5 cm

That would be like Robert Wadlow...

/media/tinymce_upload/9055cb78fef21835d67b57cd99524a64.jpg

(Picture from Wiki)

Trying to get into a normal size Carriage

/media/tinymce_upload/9c0f767eeb8fefb85cfe1635adbb2925.JPG

I had a sort of weird epiphany of these Steampunk items ... and reckoned there's a probably-expensive option Hornby have missed here.

What's more Steampunk / Victorian era than IKB / Broad Gauge?

Hornby could have created a market for which many are curious and created Broad Gauge track, have Steampunk, or not, train sets ... perhaps ...

The classic name of Bassett Lowke could have been used to launch a Broad Gauge line ....

Just a thought.

Al.

• 4 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/8a3350722f4e350f880889a89457c99a.jpg

Web page error indicated above about scale has been reported to Hornby admin. I would expect the web page to be corrected during next week. Obviously a 10cm figure is not compatible with OO HO scale.

Took a bit longer than a week, but the website has been corrected and the reference to HO/00 scale compatibility is now removed.

Not 9 feet, but 6.75 feet from 27mm divided by 4mm = 6.75 feet [4mm to the foot 1:76 scale].

The base of the figure seems quite thick which would account for some of the height. At HO scale 3.5mm to the foot, they would be 7.7 feet. Yes a little on the large size, agreed. But these are 'Steam Punk' and not IMO true scenic figure models. So some leeway I feel can be given.