Wheelchair Newbie wanting to buy first set since My First Scalextric

WheelieMatt

Hi all. I'm looking to buy my first Scalextric set for 30 years!!! I'm 32 and in a wheelchair. Don't think the wired controllers would stretch enough for me to play with the track on the floor, so I'd probably be looking at the ARC Air pr ARC Pro. Don't have anybody regular to race against so don't want to spend a huge amount until I've got regularpeople to race. Any advice welcome.

PS Do all cars work with all sets?

Matt, aged 32 from Doncaster ;)

HI Matt and welcome,

In general, all 1/32 scale cars (which is the most common scale) of all brands work on all 1/32 scale track.

Carrera cars may need the guide blade made more "shallow" and possibly shortened but in general all will work and will work well with both ARC AIR and ARC PRO when ARC PRO is in analog mode (the switch essentially turns it into an ARC AIR).

As long as the cars have black guide blades (you can make them black with a marker or paint) they will work with all the features or ARC.

Micro Scaextric is roughly 1/64 scale so about the size of matchbox cars often called H0 scale. These will not really work well on the 1/32 scale "Sport" track.

If you want digital with all the lane changing etc you can go with ARC PRO.

All the ARC differences are detailed here:

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/sets/app-race-control-arc.html

Digital requires digital lane-changing track pieces and digital decoders called "chips" in every car. Digital systems are NOT compatible across brands...but the Scalextric system is easier than most to convert IMHO..

HI Matt and welcome,

In general, all 1/32 scale cars (which is the most common scale) of all brands work on all 1/32 scale track.

Carrera cars may need the guide blade made more "shallow" and possibly shortened but in general all will work and will work well with both ARC AIR and ARC PRO when ARC PRO is in analog mode (the switch essentially turns it into an ARC AIR).

As long as the cars have black guide blades (you can make them black with a marker or paint) they will work with all the features or ARC.

Micro Scaextric is roughly 1/64 scale so about the size of matchbox cars often called H0 scale. These will not really work well on the 1/32 scale "Sport" track.

If you want digital with all the lane changing etc you can go with ARC PRO.

All the ARC differences are detailed here:

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/sets/app-race-control-arc.html

Digital requires digital lane-changing track pieces and digital decoders called "chips" in every car. Digital systems are NOT compatible across brands...but the Scalextric system is easier than most to convert IMHO..

Thanks Andy, I've not got a clue what I'm looking for to be honest. The ARC Air and ARC Pro look like the ones I'd be able to use as I've heard the wired controller's are only about 1m long so wouldn't stretch far enough for me.

• 1 month later...

I too have just returned to Scalextric now I'm retired and chose the ARC Air set. I don't think I'll ever need more than two cars racing at once and the APP is useful in giving an extra dimension. Even if it's only acting as a lap counter when playing on my own.

I've just got more more track and doubled its length.

Hi Matt,

I recently picked up the Le Man's 24h Arc Pro set.

Great value & I appreciate the cordless controllers too.

I have 2 crook knees so have my layout setup on foam sheets set on trestle tables at waist height.

The pace car option is awesome too as I don't have many opponents to race against.

Cheers

Kev 😀