Class 56 R3473 faulty connector.

WilliamDavid

I have just bought the above off ebay, and in spite of taking great care when removing the body to fit a dcc decoder (forewarned), one of the directional lights connectors just fell apart. 

Do I return this to the seller or Hornby?

This is a very bad design and specified connector.

Please advise, as I am feeling a bit miffed.

It looks difficult to fix as the wires are thinner than a human hair, too short and not colour coded.

Was it sold as 'Used' or 'New'.

Many people still insist in selling near-unused items, which couild be 5+ years old as new - which I think opens them up to all manner of problems.

I would contact the seller initially and see if they are prepared to help you, and in what manner.

After that, see what Hornby can do for you - they may assist.

There were various designs - 'fingers' onto contacts, then plungers.

Many prefer to hardwire the contacts - perhaps with micro-connectors to permit body separation.

Al.

It was new.

I requested eBay for its return it as faulty and gave the reason.

The seller has accepted its return and a return postage label has been supplied.

I didn't put any strain on the connectors as I was forewarned of this issue.

The wires literally 'fell off'.

For most issues I can fix such things myself, but the wires are so thin I doubt they would solder.

Also I would have to identify which wire goes where, as they are all black.

Not Hornby's finest and unless they have addressed the issue, any forthcoming Class 56 locos should be avoided.

After buying Hornby's class 66 I was bittery disappointed, after all the hype I expected it to be better. No lights, not much different to the Lima, just a better motor and paint job. Same with the class 59 although that was a Railroad version, so I was being a bit optomistic.I am surprised your class 56 had lights. I must admit although they are a lot more expensive, I only buy Bachmann or Dapol diesels now, they have nice circuit boards and wires that you can solder. They even have either the speaker fitted or a nice location to fit it. Other than the odd bent pickup, even the second hand ones off EBay have been ok. I have found with a lot of Manufacturers that they take no account of you having to take the thing apart to fit the DCC chip, even the Hattons class 66 which is a nice model, you have to be so careful as bits of pipework fall off when you are trying to get it apart to fit a decoder. Similarly the Bachmann steam locos seem to suffer from the same issue, the IVatt with tender being a prime example.

TBH, you've been unlucky.

I'm pleased you've been able to resolve the situation amicably.

I purchased a used EWS 56 from Hattons listed as having non-functional lighting one end - it was true but prior research made me understand the hit-and-miss fingers used on the earlier super-detail models.

I got the lighting to work without issue and that, and the rest of the locomotive, are absolutely superb.

I consider the 56 one of Hornby's flawed but superb achievements - a fantastic locomotive, so smooth, quiet and powerful.

I love the opening doors, and the functioning fans - many disconnect them, mine won't be.

I would definitely replace if you were 'sold' on the 56 idea - fantastic locomotive.

Al.

I must admit I quite like the lights and I would be really upset if I had paid a premium for a model because of this feature and found that they didn't work. Even one of the ones advertised on EBay has a comment highlighting the issue with the lights. It wouldn't be so bad if Hornby realised that they have an issue and kept the relevent spare parts to fix it (surprise, surprise out of stock). It also appears that they are glued to the chassis which make replacement a bit difficult anyway. Shame it appears it is a nice loco. 

I made the mistake of testing my 56 lights with a 9v battery and the body off not realising the current limiting resistors are on the main PCB on the chassis, result - blown leds. As Colin says the desk hiding the lighting boards is glued in and needs destructive force applied to remove it and gain access to the lighting boards. i managed to replace the SMD leds on mine and reassemble.

Lesson learnt.

What I have is an old 9 volt power supply that I added a 1 kilo ohm resistor in series with the positive feed to test leds and two croc clips. Even if the led has a series resistor, it will still light up with a 1 k resistor. Either way it appears a class 56 is off my second hand list, the only thing is, did Hornby use the same system on any diesel/electric other locos? I was thinking of buying one of their expensive HST variants when they come out, but now I am wondering if they have have used the same system on those. Fortunately, the steam locos don't have lights, so they can't really mess that up. As I said it appears without the light issue it is a good loco, so as someone said if it cheap enough it is worth the risk. 

Although I have returned this loco, I will wait with bated breath until a refund arrives. Forever the pessimist.

I rather like the Class 56, but will not buy another unless I know Hornby have fixed the issue.

I have five of the early Dapol/Mainline/Hornby versions fitted with dcc and led lights. They are rather good and will have to do for now.

You will get your money back, the threats from EBay generally bully the Seller into paying up. It is a shame, immediately I read your post I looked up the loco and Sam's Trains review. It appears it is a good loco but as I said earlier, even on his one the connector fell apart. You even wonder if you could fix it with a load of cheap Chinese connectors, until you find that Hornby glued the wires to the chassis. Really it is unforgivable, Hornby know you will have to take it apart to put the DCC decoder in, so they should make it easy. Long term all it does is lose them sales. I was tempted to buy one, then I read your's and Sam's reports and thought no. Funny, I recently bought a Dapol class73 Battle of Britain loco, Sam's Trains said his kept derailing, mine is absolutely perfect, most reliable one I own, the only issue I have is the cab lights are on all the time when you switch the lights on. Even fitting the dcc decoder was easy.

I know, I felt sorry for the Seller when I read your post. It is like TTS decoders, there are numerous faults with them as a Seller/Dealer they must be a nightmare. I only now buy ones from recognised Dealers, because probably they will need to go back. It is getting to the point now where I am thinking, just buy the decent ones from Zimo or Loksound but less of them. The trouble is if they do return it to Hornby, it doesn't cover their lost postage and all the hassle. I like Hornby Steam locos, but this is the 21st Century and their 1970's attitude doesn't seem to fit in anymore.