select controller

tootsiewebb24

What DCC address are you trying to set Port 1 to on the R8247?

What firmware revision is your Select?

[the very first number to appear briefly on the LCD screen when powered up]

I am not too sure exactly what the significance of 8 flashes is, the Select manual specifically mentions that 8 flashes requires you to try addressing the decoder again. I suspect, that 8 flashes means that the Select controller cannot detect the presence of the R8247 being connected to its 'TRACK A&B' output.

Now you haven't stated how you have connected the R8247 to the Select for the purpose of programming. It may be that you have just used the track clip provided with the R8247 and you are connecting the R8247 to the Select via your main layout track.

Personally, I wouldn't do it that way. All these clips add potential points of connectivity issues and having the main layout hanging off the R8247 during programming can potentially affect the programming data signal.

I suggest that you have a short temporary pair of wires [say for example something similar to the brown and blue 5 amp wires as used in a table-lamp] and make a direct temporary connection between the 'TRACK A&B' output of the Select and the 'TRACK A&B' input of the R8247 [thus no clips and no track in the circuit]. Having a direct clean connection will maximise the chance of programming success. Then perform your DCC address programming. If successful, then just re-connect the R8247 back onto the track and test. But before following the above suggested connection methodology, I would also give extreme consideration to the firmware upgrade recommendation made below.

11 is Select firmware version 1.1 and is extremely out of date. It is known to have issues with programming some non Hornby decoders, but in theory should programme Hornby ones. But even so, due to the age of the 1.1 firmware it would still be prudent and worthwhile to have it upgraded by Hornby to the latest (at time of writing) 1.6 version, as firmware version 1.1 did have bugs in it that could still potentially interact adversely with current Hornby decoders. When Select with 1.1 firmware was originally launched, the R8247 did not exist as a product, neither did the R8249 and TTS decoders exist either. The 'Accessory Decoder' at that time was the earlier R8216 [now obsolete]. There have, to the best of my recollection, previously been forum reports of issues with Select firmware 1.1 and the later R8247 Accessory Decoders, that a firmware upgrade has resolved.

The latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions. This would also allow you to perform factory resets on the R8247 and loco decoders, something you currently cannot do with the 1.1 version. Factory resets are typically performed writing 8 to CV8.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

You are advised not to use R8247 with Select at v1.1.

There is a documented bug in this Select firmware version which can cause an R8247 to go into flutter when port 1 is selected. This can damage the R8247.

You should get your Select updated before connecting and operating an R8247.