Repairing theT9's faults

Guest Chrissaf

I had not known of the T9's faults until my friend asked me to have a look at one of his.  It was was not meshing for some reason.  My initial thoughts were what a badly designed chassis. After thinking about it for a day or so, i thought it needs reassembling in some way.  I glued, using Areldite, the  baseplate to the main chassis, ensuring that it was pressed firmly together and let it set.  Next, I glued the motor into the groove in the baseplate whilst ensuring that the worm sat centrally on the gear-wheel. The U-shaped piece of metal that covers the worm gear is then glued onto the chassis ensuring that no glue is applied where it sits over the gear-wheel's axle. This is pressed firmly down and clamped if possible until set.  The gap between this piece of metal and motor should also have some glue run along the top to reinforce the sturcture.  When everything was firmly in place the loco ran perfectly well.  

While this method does not allow easy maintainence, it does mean you can run your loco until the motor packs-up. If it does then you could repeat the process.

My friend has told me of people saying their locos were scrap and to save the motor for spares; where is that capacity to make do and mend that was such a large part of the modelling society years ago? 'Oh, its broken I'll have to scrap it.'  Get a grip and use your initiative. 

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I applaud your fix but I must admit it is getting harder to repair broken locos, because of the lack of spare parts. Hornby seem to do very few replacement parts for new locos. I have bought second hand locos only to find they have issues with their pickups or base plates. Usually you can modify a pickup you can get, but they never seem to work the same. I did try at one point to fix my Merchant navy valve gear with bits from scrap valve gear parts but also found that it doesn't always work. I must admit I am getting to the point of only buying Bachmann locos secondhand as that nice lady at Bachmann always seems to have spare parts and she replies in a day. Reading all the posts about this loco you would think Hornby would have made replacement parts that work and sold them as upgraded spare parts, that is what the motor industry does. I suppose Hornby has the copyright, so I suppose some third party can't make them. 

From what I gather from the posts, the motor retainers break and you can't get replacements. I don't have one of these locos, so I wouldn't have a clue as to how easy it is to fabricate something. So I suppose that is why he used Araldite. The locos I have most trouble with are pickups on Fowler Tanks, front bogie of Schools Class and valve gear for BofB/West Country/Merchant Navy. They did improve the front bogie on the Schools class, but sadly they don't have them as spare parts. I did have to fix someones Bachmann loco where the tender connection had broken, but I managed to get a brand new one plus pickup plate from Bachmann.