Christmas Hamper

Peter Stiles

I had to read the descriptions twice to see what I was missing.

The Christmas Hamper has a J15.

The Christmas Hamper Expansion Set 1 has a J15.

Luckily one is the LNER version and one the BR paint job.

But really? Entice people into the hopbby by attempting to sell them the same engine twice in quick succession?

This looks like its a "way to cut down on overstocks"... Especially if you note the two coaches in the  Hamper and Expansion are the same Railroad.

So - before I buy the Expansion Set and put the coaches on Ebay, is there anything fundamentally wrong with the J15?

I'm looking forward to it!  Just placed my order for one of the Add On Pack Christmas Hampers, both as my Christmas present to myself this year and due to the fact that I don't have those coaches or a J15!

What's in it is perfect for me, and I can't get those items individually for a lower price than that!

It does seem a bit weird that they offered the same loco in both packs but they must have their reasons. Both packs look good value for money. To be quite honest I would suspect they have a severe shortage of locos anyway, they have been working from home since March. The J15 is quite a nice loco, so why not have two of them.

I just glanced at them as I don't need much, but I am glad Twintop you pointed it out. If you haven't much railway stuff these are normally good deals, normally they put a 0-4-0 loco in them, so I think a J15 is definitely a big improvement. Generally most Hornby sets are good value for money.

Just seen this and I am seriously tempted by the second pack. It's a loco, two coaches and two trucks all for just £2 more than the RRP for the loco itself!

The J15s are widely regarded as some of Hornby's best models, and that BR livery with the red side rods is very nice indeed. It's been one of those 'if I saw one going super cheap I'd get one' locos for me, but as I've been meaning to get some more Mk1s too, this is too good to miss. Plus I collect trucks with Welsh town names, so the Philips George & Co fits with that!

I ordered the expansion pack - it just turned up and the J15 is whizzing round my lockdownlayout pulling the coaches and a hogwarts brake I picked up for 15 quid.

Very nice little loco it is.

I was pleased to find the coaches had small tension locks on - I was expecting as railroad for them to still all have ye olde wide ones.

Mine just arrived via DHL, and only a few days after ordering.  What's incredible is: I'm in the US!

I'm working now, but will be opening it up and giving it a run as soon as I finish my work day!  And being a Friday, I know what I'll be running for a while on my layout!  This may be also what runs under our tree this year!

This was my Christmas present for myself this year, so I'm very happy to have gotten it so early!

Hi all

Johns std gripe where is the brake van it should have one.

Right now that's out of the way, they look to represent very good value for money.

The packs do more or less have two trains worth of rolling-stock note my std gripe, so do form a good start or a good add on

If I did not have as much as I do, either one of those would be a possibility.

I cannot see the issue with both loco's being the same class the liveries are different and it is a common type, that would have gone all over the LNER or the Eastern region.

And may be snuck outside those areas particularly in BR days.

regards John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to this so please go easy on me. I have been a model railway enthusiast and collector since the early seventies, with a few years off for family and career in between. Now I'm living in New Zealand and  getting back into it, reacquainting myself with my collection. I recently ordered the Christmas Hamper 1 - Starter Pack. Well, I am surprised; not only is it great value, it arrived in NZ in just over a week, and to my home  a little later after questions from customs. It was well packed with no appearent damage from its travels.

The set is great, the loco is well detailed and as for all the other goodies in the set including trees, buildings etc. I think anyone recieving the set as an introdudtion to model railway would be hooked for life. I say "well done Hornby", I just wish I had ordered the Christmas Hamper 2 add on pack as well.

Thanks again Hornby keep up the great work.