Onboard video

AjeetM

Hi, my father in law has just built a massive track using track parts spanning several decades. I would like to get him a wireless onboard camera so he can video from the drivers view. Please can you let me know any recommendations. Thanks A

• 3 weeks later...

What about those video link, micro tv cameras that the radio contol guys use for FPV. (first person video).

They fit these to racing quads with great success.

You also need a set of Rx goggles to view the action as you fly/drive.

Some of these cameras are truely tiny. The Air to ground range can be miles.

Plenty enough for close use like slot cars.

Same tech they use in drones. Of course the DJI drones (and many others), use your smart phone/tablet as the viewing device.

Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

@DonnyRailMan,

I have done what you are asking. I used a Samsung Gear 360, I cut a hole thru the roof of a Scalextric Porsche 997. while I have the body off the car I installed a second bar magnet and added a couple small 8mm disc shaped magnets on top of the bar magnet. This was all done to increase the stability of the car when the top heavy camera is sticking out of the roof. When driving the car around the track I had to keep the speeds down around 25% of throttle. Any faster and the motion is hard to look at.

I'll include a link to a post I did on youtube ( 

) for you to go look at. Keep in mind all of this is at a pace of around a max of 20-25% throttle. My track lap length is approx 100 feet linear travel per lap. The track itself sits on a table approximately 28ft x 8ft. 

The reason I used the Gear 360 is because then you can use your left mouse button on a PC to drag the screen around while the video places to get a look in any direction up/down/left/right/front/rear. If you're on a mobile phone or tablet you can just move you finger around on the screen. 

Hope this helps. 

@DonnyRailMan,

I have done what you are asking. I used a Samsung Gear 360, I cut a hole thru the roof of a Scalextric Porsche 997. while I have the body off the car I installed a second bar magnet and added a couple small 8mm disc shaped magnets on top of the bar magnet. This was all done to increase the stability of the car when the top heavy camera is sticking out of the roof. When driving the car around the track I had to keep the speeds down around 25% of throttle. Any faster and the motion is hard to look at.

) for you to go look at. Keep in mind all of this is at a pace of around a max of 20-25% throttle. My track lap length is approx 100 feet linear travel per lap. The track itself sits on a table approximately 28ft x 8ft. 

The reason I used the Gear 360 is because then you can use your left mouse button on a PC to drag the screen around while the video places to get a look in any direction up/down/left/right/front/rear. If you're on a mobile phone or tablet you can just move you finger around on the screen. 

Hope this helps. 

What name do you use on YouTube can not come across the video clip with that link.

@DonnyRailMan,

Hope this helps. 

What name do you use on YouTube can not come across the video clip with that link.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm just Phil Carpenter on youtube. I just republished the video so hopefully it comes up at the top (there are a lot of experiments on my channel from other slot car activity, motorcycle rides, boating etc). Once on youtube you might find it by searching for this really long title "Way cool Slot Car video on board a Scalextric slot car in 360VR head rush" . Yes that whole sentence is the title of the video on my page. 

It's just raw video. If you're on a computer use you mouse to drag the angles around. If you're on a mobile device you should be able to spin around and look both up and down as this is 360degree spherical video.