GWR 0-6-0 motor

ColinB

I have a really old GWR 0-6-0 pannier tank engine. I took it apart to find a Scalextric type motor. It is not the later Thomas the Tank, neither is it an X03/X04 type motor. It looks like it must be a version between fitting the X03/X04 motor and the late very thin motor. It drives the centre wheel. I have tried finding a Service sheet for it, it looks like 84B covers it, but I cannot find a part number for the motor and on this sheet it looks like they refer to an X03/X04 type motor. It is the part number for the motor I am really interested in, as my one in this loco is drawing a lot of current and I am hoping I can replace it with a better one. 

No howbiman that is the later type, but thanks for looking. I eventually answered my own question, I have a couple of old 0-4-0 chassis with can motors in. It appears they used one of those in this model, because I swapped the old one out for the one in the 0-4-0. I did find out one thing though, I now know why Hornby don't put decoder sockets in their 0-4-0 locos. These motors have a stall current of about 0.8 amps according to my Fluke, so if you fitted a standard Hornby decoder it would die. I only noticed because a DCC concepts decoder could not turn the motor, so I started checking the current. The DCC concepts decoder current limit, but it leave them too long doing it they die.

If the can motor has openings in the casing, it may be X842 or X908.  These were more commonly used in

0-4-0 chassis as per service sheets 82 and 82A/115 after the X04 but I have heard of their use in 0-6-0 chassis although this was not covered by a service sheet.  These were the precursors of fully-enclosed can motor X2258 on sheet 115A.  When the SSPP 0-6-0 chassis was introduced, the small square open-frame motor X1846 was fitted, as per sheet 139.

Are these the big can motors that fit into a plastic frame and have a white wire soldered to one of the terminals? They are quite a powerful motor but fast running if so. I got around half a dozen in box of bits once and they all work but the plastic frames are going for silly money now. 

The only locos I have seen them in are the first version of the continental tank and i have one of the Nellies with the phone number on the tank that has one but I'm not sure the chassis is the original. 

Yes, there was a late version of the GWR 57xx, Pannier Tank, 8750 later cab version, made with a can motor.

The body had to be modified to fit around the can motor.

As the motor is in an adaptor, it should be quite easy to replace the motor and driving gear on the centre axle with the X.04, or new type X.03...

The Nellie type 0-4-0 also received the can motor in an adaptor.