Bring back GWR King locos

da4472vid

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you think I am - clockwork??

The easiest thing in the world is to upset GWR fans. They are so insecure about 'their' locos. The boasts of the superiority of them is just empty bluster, as they know!!! (I suppose I'll have to offer WTD a

cup of coffee to calm him down when he appears out of my PC to go for my throat!!)

Sorry PP but I don't get wound up over locos. Although I was brought up looking at the WR, you know my favourite loco is the Gresley V2. To me all locos are good.
No need to worry about me jumping out of your PC,

unless you've got some cake to go with the coffee!

You'll make yourself a Southern Railway enthusiast yet!!

Death before dishonour!!!

Not wishing to upset the eager public, here I am. Let me tell you a tale of two forms of rail transport, there was a Class called the " King ". Over rated, labour intensive, and a drivers and fitters nightmare with all that, inside valve gear.
Then

there was the 4-Cor, to those with taste, she was a thing of beauty, quiet clean, and not full of herself. They were reliable, no melting fire bars for her, no rigorous oiling for the driver, and having to be a contortionist, a quick run through the carriage

cleaning plant and she was ready to whisk people away to their destination.
How am I doing PP, shall I go, oh all right then.

4-Cor....bunch of carriages with the locomotive missing running on switchback track where a 'fast train' goes at 60mph.
The southern region trains I saw might have seen a carriage cleaning unit in passing, but whether they ever went inside one is debatable.

Now, now, remember this thread is about the 'King'.

Personally I felt the 'Castle' had the edge over the 'King' in that it could go lots of places the 'King' couldn't, could run just as fast, and haul just as many carriages. It looked sleeker too.

Still had the dreaded multi cylinder problem, but then so did all the LNER, LMS & SR Pacifics, the V2s, the Jubilees, the Royal Scots, and the Lord Nelsons. The 'Castles' proved themselves to be superior locomotives in many ways, but the lumbering 'Kings'

never really shone.

Archived