Wiring multiple tracks to the bus wire for DCC

Aussie Fred

I am converting my DC to DCC and was wondering if it is wise to have ONE bus wire feeding the two outside tracks and for a short distance where the third track follows the other two through Mainn Station. I plan to use secondary bus wires to service each track off the main bus wire which is 3mm, rated 10 amps. Is that too heavy or doesn't it matter how heavy it is so long it is big enough to carry sufficient current. The secondary bus wire is about 1.5mm and only long enough to go to the next section (main bus wire split into sections to make fault-finding easier). Do I need to put an end terminator on the secondary bus wires, as I will the main bus wire?

Sorry, lots of questions there.

Not sure about the termination part of your question, however with regards the 'size' of the wire being too heavy, the wire needs to be large enough to handle the required current and then it is worth giving yourself a safety margin by going slightly larger than the minimum thickness needed for your maximum current. If you go too large however you will run into more physical issues in that larger thickness wires can be more difficult to feed round corners, require larger holds to feed through and they can also be more difficult to attach to the controller terminals and small switches often found in model railways. (I did have to choose a smaller wire just because of switch sizes recently)

While you certainly don't need more than 10 Amps, unless you run into a physical problem then there is no obvious reason why your 3mm wires will cause an electrcial problem