Test track

asunited1707822358

Hi all. Just starting up again after 40 or so years!. New to DCC. I have e-link and railmaster software. On YouTube I see some have a test track to set up their locos. Will I need to do the same or can I program them in on a circuit?. If I need a test track how do I set this up?. I have a digital track peice (R8241) so can I just use this?. Any help with this or setting up locos will be most welcome!.

Thanks

Hi welcome to DCC or Doesn't Come Cheap.

I have a PROGRAM (test) track. I used the piece of track that came with my anniversary Mallard, it's gold plated and makes excellent contact but any piece of straight track will do provided it's longer than your longest loco and in good condition and clean. Mine is mounted on my work bench. Some members use a siding with a piece of track that can be isolated.

Connect this to the PROG TRACK output on your control base station. Mine is connected with the wires soldered directly to the track. Prog track outputs do not provide drive voltage just the programme info pulses. Ok your loco may move a fraction whilst being programmed but not far. Also you can if your system allows read CV values on the PROG track.

You can program on the main. But you have to ensure that you either remove all the other locos OR that you address the one you only want to program. Programming on the mains gives instantaneous results and you can see results quickly, like start voltage, momentum, top voltage and if sound fitted, volume.

As you are just starting your investment into your model railway you may like to consider purchasing a 'Rolling Road' device such as the Hornby R8211. It serves as a test and programming track as well as for running in new locos. Ideal for testing after fitting a decoder. I have used mine for 10 years now and has proved to be a wise investment.........HB

forum_image_603bd8f6751cd.thumb.png.d2db56e3f185f30786b17ac024e93b12.png