Aircraft duplicate identifiers

Paul1707817680

Sorry if this has been answered previously, but I can’t find any answers. I have 4 Spitfires which all have the same identifier markings as they are all the same kit. What’s the recommended way to change these? The first two characters I’ll keep the same to show they are from the same squadron, but the 3rd characters are the individual plane identifiers that I need to change. I don’t think I can paint characters well enough to make them convincing.

Thank you.

2 "gotchas" here - the aircraft serials for "the squadron's" aircraft may not be sequential, so just because they had DB201 does not mean that they had any, never mind all, of DB189 to DB200 or DB202 to DB212.

Also, the individual aircraft codes are semi-random. For example, on "Operation Chastise", the squadron commander, Guy Gibson, flew AJ-G, flight commander "Dinghy" Young flew AJ-A.

(Details cross-checked on Wikipedia)

early on in the war some fighter squadrons did delete there squadron codes just leaving the roundel and aircraft letter for identification, the serial number would stay with the aircraft even if it moved to a different squadron but would change if it moved to a different air force if they had a different system of keeping track of the history of the aircraft for such things as flying hours / maintenance.

as the war went on a squadron leader or wing commander was able to personalise his own aircraft identification letters as they would have there own personal plane, as the other planes of the squadron would be flown by any of the pilots in the squadron.