Hornby T9 slow running with r8249 decoder

burnmouth

I have a couple of T9 locomotives (30726 and 30310) fitted with R8249 decoders.
Each runs much more slowly than all other locomotives in my fleet. I am using a Hornby elite controller. Has anybody any advice on how to increase the maximum speed of these

locos.
TIA

Hard to tell if it's running too slowly without seeung it in action. One review says "T9 model contains a powerful and responsive 5-pole motor, realistically geared." The "realistically geared" usually means locos run more slowly than you would expect.
You

won't be able to read CV5, because the R8249 doesn't have it.

Have you tried measuring the speed of the T9 and then converting it to a scale speed in mph or km/h?

Typically locos are able to run much faster than their maximum scale speeds. For example my class 08 will do 50-60 km/h .... but the max was about

22!!

I generally run my decoders at around 50% throttle to achieve maximum scale speed. If anything I prefer to run my trains below max scale speed as my layout 2.7x1.2m just works better with slower moving trains.

Not really relevant, but I've got an ancient DMU I put a decoder into, and it runs (and ran) at a scaleish speed of about 240MPH if I let it go! (It doesn't corner very well, though!) I can't recall how old it is, somewhere around 50 years, but it had

knurled drive wheels to make a growling noise in lieu of engine noise. The knurling is pretty well worn off, now!

Archived