Writing to CVs on older decoders

Brew Man

I have a (probably) quite old Jinty that was factory fitted with DCC. I can change the Address but it doesn't seem to respond to other CV changes, such as CV 8/8. I've tried this with both my controllers, (Elite and Select) but nothing changes. Other locos seem OK.

Anyone know why this is so? Maybe some older decoders don't support writing to CVs.

What make of decoder is it? Some decoders don't use CV 8/8 for resetting.

If its an old Hornby R8215 decoder, these will only accept a 2 digit address and don't allow you to read values from any CVs but afaik they should reset with CV8 set to 8. I have read that you sometimes need to reset a decoder a number of times before the reset will "stick".

To be honest I've no idea which decoder is in it. It's a beautiful example that bought on eBay when I was first getting going. As I said, changing its address is fine and works, but writing to any of the CVs has no apparent effect. The reason I wanted to to do this was because the acceleration/deceleration were quite long so I thought I'd speed them up a bit, but writing to CVs 3 and 4 have no effect. It's otherwise a great loco.

Try writing changes in Reg mode (Elite, not Select), noting there are only eight registers you can access.

Likely the decoder if a factory fit would be R8215 which tend towards unreliable on a good day and are best replaced.

Ah, that's interesting. So you think it might be more responsive if I try writing to it in Reg mode? Taking your advice, I might replace it with an R8249 at some point. I tried programming with the Elite on an 0-4-0 with an R7274, 4 pin decoder at the same time and it was absolutely fine.