High speed train models

steamy

Let me start by saying this is not a "why are models now so expensive now?" moan, but I would be interested to know if anyone can say why the current high speed train power cars are the price they are? One powered unit and one unpowered, in contemporary livery, well made, accurate and far better than the ones that used to be the bane of second hand traders.

Im not unhappy, and hope to add a ScotRail one to Tweeniehills.

The higher priced model appears to have, not only a better motor, better flywheel, but drive to both bogies and pick up from both bogies, Additional expense comes from the inclusion of DCC modules, TTS sound modules and speakers, none of which is of any use to me with a non DCC layout, and was removed by the retailer who supplied them. A weighty chassis is also a bonus, and all in all provides tremendous traction... Good job you don't buy these by the gramme ... worth every penny.. The new glazing, wipers and light lenses are a huge improvement too

@steamy

If you pull the various HST Class 43 service sheets you will see the vast difference between the running gear of the early ring-field powered models, the newer cheapie railroad single bogie drive models and the much heavier all wheel drive and sound capable models.

Then look at the body detailing differences between these ranges and you can see where the money goes.

The latest HSTs are very good models.