My BIG Model Railway Move...!!!

JJ73

forum_image_60c5315eb9b1b.png.3d6709662c034c316b5ed6914b1bc54c.png

Thanks, Jimy. The white thing is a "bureau"- a souvenir of my dear parents. I have found a temporary place for my Grand Suspension Bridge on my (latest)no.2 layout. Not ideal but putting my thinking cap on. What great progress you are making. Yes, a third loop would be very worth having, you will find.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ Threelink :- Well thank you & I'm glad that my Thread has inspired you to "to get off my backside and crack on with a new layout." As you put it!!! 😃 Question :- If you see your "Her Grace" as you put it " her collection of Dr Who rubbish" - does that mean that she see "your Collection of Model Railways" as rubbish??? 😄 (only messing / joking with you!!!) He he!!!

Yes there is a lot of hard work (as you also found out) of converting 1 room into another - (I had to completely dismantle my double bed just to move it down stairs & build it up again!!!) Well keep up with the enthusiasm & your reward will come to you!!! 🙂🚂🚂🚂

@ Jimbo :- Oh yes a "bureau" thank you 🙂 - Glad you found a place for your S. Bridge (even though it is Temporary) Thank you again - yep at some point - that '3rd long siding' will may be turn into a 3rd loop!!! 🙂🚂🚂🚂

JJ, I'm not sure exactly how Her Grace views my toy trains but I think "amused tolerance" is the nearest description. On the plus side she is a steam enthusiast, in a lady like way, and is always up for a ride on a preserved line or a walk along a derelict one (on condition that we take her wretched dogs) so I can't complain.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I should pay more attention to my layout - seems lately, if I leave my layout for a few days - things seem to happen on thier own!!!???!!!...

2 new stone walls have appeared either side of the entrance of my Big Engine Shed...

forum_image_60eb84cd1cf53.png.eec9083f9e286c2ea2572692e035b848.png

Sheep have appeared next to my track...

forum_image_60eb84cee1ac9.png.f15b6e19522ea743b953373ae7836806.png

Another Stone wall & some grass has gown on my 'door bridge!!!...'

forum_image_60eb84d038628.png.183d996fa8acc6fb04b589807e9564a5.png

More sheep!!!

forum_image_60eb84d1cff05.png.b4ea5775d284821929327049e351f3fb.png

Guess what - yep even more sheep (never had sheep b4 next to my railway!!!)

forum_image_60eb84d36ccae.png.39025db338d9cb40ee263d092948707d.png

🙂🐑🚂🚂🚂

• 2 weeks later...

Update time...

WOW - Just WOW!!!

I spent a few hrs taking photos along the M. T. for a 'Back-drop' for my 2 Suspension Bridges - wasn't pleased with any of the results - cos they were too green...(there is an actual River & Road down there!!!)

forum_image_60f78b2daa5b5.png.08f61931b6780dfdda846c34f1459153.png

I found some old photos on my computer & used 1 of them instead...

Before...

forum_image_60f78b2f10552.png.0baff578dff3ac9b7e43ae0c21893d17.png

After...

forum_image_60f78b30ba739.png.cc73896300b59e58dadad50fe8375a64.png

What do you think folks??? 🤔🚂🚂🚂

Shame that the shots taken from what I believe to be the viaduct at Millersdale for Tideswell proved unsuitable but I do like the shot you have used. I have happy memories of Millersdale station. When it was lying derelict many years ago I went for a crawl under the floor and found an 1880s Midland Railway guard's notebook. Only part of the first page had been used and the rest was blank. How it got there is anybody's guess and I imagine there must have been a very cross guard hunting high and low for it.

Keep up the good work.

Yes Threelink & Thank you - your right - that is from the Viaduct @ Millers Dale - you must Live some where nr me then!!! WOW that's an amazing find from the 1880's - might be worth something - Railway guard - "Now where did I put that bloomin' notebook - I've hunted high & low for it!!!"

😃🚂🚂🚂

No,JJ, I live many miles from Millersdale but have spent many happy years wandering Britain's abandoned railways. It's amazing what turns up in odd places, for example a sack full of pre-group wagon waybills stuffed under the platform in a goods shed and an enormous GER enamel station name board used to build a hen coop. I have an ambitious plan to incorporate a scaled down version of the Millersdale viaducts as the door bridge on my embryonic layout. I shall have to add a 4mm guard vainly searching for his lost notebook!

WOW that sounds exciting - the only things I have found along the M. T. are 'Lumps of coal' (& many of them which at some point in time have fallen of the Tenders - as they speeded past!!! - quite amazing which have been there since more than 1968 when the line closed!!!), once found a metal signal Semaphore Ladder in the bushes - wasn't sure if I wanted or not - so I left it where I found it - then decided that I DID wanted & went back 4 or 5 times try to look for it again but never found it - who knows what happen to it!!! I found a VERY rusty piece of rail about 1 Meter long & took that home (Very heave also). found Track-side Telegraphs & quite a few of those Telegraph pole guywire bases, Chairs (as in to hold the rail on to the sleeper!!!) & a few other things!!!

This forum is probably not the place to go into detail about finds of prototype items but it's fair to say that there is still a lot of stuff to find if you know where to look, no matter how long a railway has been closed. More to the point abandoned railways are a rich source of modelling materials. I have used soot from tunnels (on the MT and the GCR), crushed limestone from an abandoned limestone works at the end of a quarry siding, sand from the C&HPR, crushed sandstone from the Caldon Low tramway, crushed coal (found just as you found yours plus some from a tip on an abandoned coal mine in the Welsh valleys), crushed brick from a platelayers hut on the GCR (not the preserved bit), to name but a few. It all makes great ground cover and/or wagon loads and it's all free. Crushing is easy with a a lump hammer. The soot and coal impart an authentic smell - especially the Welsh coal which has a wonderful sulphurous stink. Random plant growths, moss and similar from the same sources, suitably dried and treated eg with PVA provide convincing vegetation in 4mm scale.

It would be good to swap a few yarns next time I am in Derbyshire but I don't think this forum permits personal emails so I don't know how we might achieve that. Meanwhile keep up the good work on your big move. I look forward to the next instalment.

I forgot to say that the lumps of coal I found on the GCR were accompanied by a set of fire irons - shovel, scoop and pricker. Their presence and the quantity of coal led me to surmise that a tender might have overturned and rolled down the embankment - one hopes without injury to the loco crew. It must have happened a long time before I found the coal because everything was buried in vegetation and heavily corroded, and the wooden shovel handle had rotted away completely. Such a scene, with recovery crew and crane in attendance would make in interesting diorama.

Hmmm interesting - hadn't thought about filling my Model Wagons with soot or crushed Coal b4!!! I did think about taking some vegetation, but thought it would just turn brown & die!!! May be I'll make a vid about that!!! 🤔🚂🚂🚂

I filled a couple of my wagons to the brim with black aquarium gravel and glued it in with PVA to represent a coal load. Big mistake as they weigh a ton.

What I should have done was fit a polyfoam filler with a thin layer of ‘coal’ on top. If the foam has a wedge cut off at one end it can be pressed with a finger to tip it out if required for empty stock running.

RAF has it right - make a former and just dress the top with crushed whatever, otherwise wagons will weigh too much. As for the soot, I use it for ground cover and weathering on buildings and the like, not for wagon loads. Even in small quantities, its odour lingers for a long time, adding aromatic authenticity to any steam age model railway. Although vegetation will die if untreated, a bath of dilute pva or a spray of matt varnish/lacquer will usually slow down the process.

JJ wrote "I did think about taking some vegetation, but thought it would just turn brown & die!!!"

I find that if you "cook" the vegetation in the oven first at around 120 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, (fan assisted oven), not only does it dry it thoroughly thus preventing colour loss it will kill off most if not all micro-organisms which may be present. It also helps with the application of scatter material using spray adhesive or hairspray. The trees in the attached photo's were made this way. The ones in the corner picture were made ages ago and still retain their colour.forum_image_60fc6b7f72ccd.thumb.png.5884ff80b701719ce8aecd3a6b7c89a7.png

forum_image_60fc6b81c2b41.thumb.png.015ecfa9f62f3a12dffc7b958fcfb837.pngforum_image_60fc6b83d9a97.thumb.png.9f195602c67aa253cb1debce921c4324.pngforum_image_60fc6b85ec256.thumb.png.d8c997b1c0c6a879c1f5815bc8c4bfb4.png

🤔😉 erm ok I know that I'm a Vegetarian but "if you "cook" the vegetation in the oven first at around 120 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, (fan assisted oven)" sound like going to the extreme a bit!!! I don't think that I have heard of any one cooking 'vegetation' b4!!! Perhaps I could give it a try??? 🤔🚂🚂🚂

I used the word "cook" in a tongue in cheek manner! By putting it in the oven it thoroughly dries it out.

I should add that I did do a fairly large batch in one go. A smaller amount would probably require less time.

Just don't let it get too crispy! money_mouth_face

Incidentally, it's not my own idea. I read about it many moons ago in the Railway Modeller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@ Potterton :- Hiya - I was coming home today from Buxton on the M. T. riding my Mountain bike & started to think about what you said on P. 14 of this thread about "I find that if you "cook" the vegetation in the oven first at around 120 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, (fan assisted oven), not only does it dry it thoroughly thus preventing colour loss it will kill off most if not all micro-organisms which may be present. " So I picked a small random selection of plants (leaves & a flower) to bring home with, when I got home, I put the plants on to a baking tray, turn on the oven like you said, put the plants in, closed the oven door, then started to proceeded to clean my car with my pressure washer (while I was waiting) totally forgot about what was in the oven!!! about 3 or 4 hrs later, I suddenly remembered the plants, went to my oven, & all I can say is opps...

forum_image_61202aa6ad0a4.png.775bac062f5a85664b9bc985d475309a.png

I'm not sure if I have over cooked / dried them - they seem really crispy / flaky!!! Not sure if they or how useable they are??? 🤔🚂🚂🚂

@jj Hello. Definitely a bit too crispy I would say! joy 3 - 4 hours is a bit different to 15 - 20 minutes! grinning You might get away with using some if you can place them where they won't be touched or brushed against, but I'd imagine they will crumble to dust at the merest touch. Probably be better to try again and wash the car another day.

I appreciate you taking the time to try the method though.

All the best.

A small update on my Layout...

I've add (well I've drawn on) a small stream & a path...

forum_image_612844ce21450.png.247895d26dc2dbe57997a4445988bf99.png

forum_image_612844d000b1b.png.c77d6f090d1da33b052f80e85b546152.png

forum_image_612844d1bb9e6.png.13c6a024f214e826b65fa9c38ab5cc02.png

In the top photo - that is an actual photo of a small stream that runs through Tideswell Dale, nr Tideswell, that also runs under the Village of Tideswell!!! & interestingly enough, that is a piece of coal that I found on the M. T., which was once sitting on top of an Tender of an a passing Steam Loco - some time b4 1968 when the line closed!!! 🙁

😉🚂🚂🚂