Tender driven locos.

Loco15666

The concept does not seem right to me. The loco should be doing the work. I have seen some great looking examples but could not think about buying one.

Do you have tender drives? Are they great? What are the dis/advantages. Tell me some stories (about

tender driven locos) good or bad. I am DC at the moment but do tell all.

Cheers Loco15666

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole crux if the thing here is that the loco wheels must turn without judder or locking up.

Whilst I much prefer the loco to do the work, I have some tender drive locos, an old pre-hornby dean goods and Lima King. These work well because the loco

wheels are free running. In N gauge I have a Peco Collett, again the loco wheels are free running, and when all is running well you cannot tell where the motor is located.

The down side is the possibility of wheel jam and the occasional heavy train making

the loco driven wheels slip just like the real thing.

If the tender-drive loco is one of your 'must have locos' just keep the motion clean and oiled and you will have many years good service from it.

Elmo

I got rid of all mine because they looked stupid when they occasionally locked up but continued to be moved along by the tender, as if saluting. They just didn't feel or look right either, the grey plastic slide valves spoiling their appearance entirely.

Loco15666,

Hi, the main advantage of tender driven model locomotives is that more detail can be added to the loco including light under the boiler etc. The larger more powerful motor can be more easily hidden in the tender. Hornby often added traction

tyres to the tender wheels enabling longer trains to be handled. I have had no problems with OO tender driven engines but remember that the newer similar engine driven locos will have newer and hence 'better' motors and detail.

Have fun.

Loco15666 said:

Thanks guys you have told me a lot I did not know. I might steer clear of them for now. The range of other locos is massive so will do me for many years to come.

Cheers, Loco15666

I personally would not

buy anymore purely because all the new stuff is of a better detail. I will not be parting with any though at present.

i recall that hornby use to do loco driven models then they all become tender drive as it was seen better i remember an duchess in the late 70's early 80's having being tender drive but when i had to take the loco apart for something can't remember what

now you could see where the motor would have fitted and now we have gone back to loco driven i wounder if it will swing back to tender in the years to come for such things as opening smoke boxes lights in the fire box smoke gens or even sound etc etc are wanted

by the modellers

as for which is best that all depends on what you want from your loco slow running power smooth running reliability or (cost which tends to be taken out of our hand as hornby pick the motor they use) but after building some of my own

locos you get to use other motors which are on the market and can see just how bad the RTR ones really are has in no spares under powered etc as for five pole motor well seven pole motors have been around since the 70's

I think tenders need to be reserved for sound chips and speakers, plus perhaps rear lights, if that's what you're into. I have a tender loco like that, plus light and smoke on the loco itself. I have seen others with a glowing firebox in addition but I'm

not too bothered about that feature. It just doesn't seem right to have a motor in the tender, and having a single motor driving the two units would spoil the appearance with a probably visible shaft revolving between them.

I removed the traction tyres from one of my older Jintys and it improved the running 100%. Nasty things, tyres not Jintys.

I never liked tender drive locos. Nothing looked worse than a loco moving along with the drive wheels skidding on the track.

As

soon as replacement loco drive models became available the tender drive versions were gone.

Tender drives were a necessary evil in days gone by because the motors had to be fairly large to pack in sufficient power especially in 4-4-0s and 0-6-0s. Nowadays motors tend to be smaller, and yet pack a lot more punch. The old pancake motors were being

used in disesels too, so a tender drive was just a motor bogie in disguise. It kept costs down.

I like the idea of an all wheel drive (tender and locomotive) for maximum traction, I wondered whether it was possible to make the Railroad Evening Star

do this but up to now I haven't had the time (or the bottle) to try.

Oddly enough the only Triang origin tender locomotive that survived the tender drive era unscathed was the Battle of Britain. It remained loco drive right up to the time the super

detail version appeared. It would be pleasant to see it return in the Railroad range at some point.

da4472vid said:

Im not convinced on tender drive they would always seze up on me loco drive with traction tyers would a bit better i think

Graskie said I still can't really think up a new signature. Any advice?
how about Class

Clown. lol :-)
Many thanks, David. It partially solved my dilemma!

• 2 weeks later...

My Margate built tender drives (a King, Saint, 28XX and 8F) all perform well at medium and High speeds. However, since fitting a DCC chip low speed control is a bit erratic although they were pretty good on DC.

Fitting chips to the 28XX (and original

440 County) is problematic as I had to drill out and fit a plastic bush to isolate the carbon brush cover to insulate the motor. Although not too difficult after you have done a couple! Having said that I have replaced my County 440 chassis with the new loco

driven one from the railroad range.

Another down side is when the bar connecting the loco to the tender is sprung. Although this allows closer coupling when running on the straight the tender can sometimes move a few mm before the loco does thereby

destroying the illusion.

On a plus side they seem more powerful (providing the traction tyres are not streached) and parts are more interchangeable. One of my 8Fs has the tender chassis from the afore mentioned county (with new sideframes) and my king

has an armiture from an old Black 5.

Having just posted the above i have just remembered my Dean Goods and Old Airfix Castle. Although easy to chip their tender drives are cheep and nasty which spoils what is a very nice looking loco. The castle body has now been transfered to a Hornby Hogwarts

Castle with little modification while its tender drive is waiting to provide spares to keep the Dean Goods going until Hornby make a loco drive one (Please!)