Direct Plug Decoders

Brew Man

Does anyone have any recommendations for direct plug decoders? I've just bought an Oxford Rail Adams Radial, (haven't received it yet) and OR recommend an 8 pin direct plug decoder such as the TCS DP2X-UK due to confined space in the bunker where the socket is located. That one seems to sell at around 30 odd quid, so I was wondering about maybe the Gaugemaster  DCC29 which is a more palatable £20.

Just a further note on the loco itself. The seller recommends running the loco in as it is new. Does anyone do this? and if so, what is the regime for doing so? 30 mins at slow speed round a loop etc?

I have run in locos but only after checking them over and re-lubeing them. Check everything is secure and no problems with motion or running gear.

Then I run them at moderate speed around a loop for 15 mins in each direction. Then turn the loco round on track and repeat, so an hours running in all. Swapping direction and orientation loads the mechanisms in all possible ways.

@Bulleidboy

Thanks for that just ordered one. It actually works out about the same price as the OMNI when purchased from Hatton's but I noticed that the peak current capability of the TCS is 2A as opposed to 1.5A with the OMNI. Continuous current is the same at 1A.

Oxford rail don't mention this and when I mailed them for a suitable decoder I was told buy TCS. At the time they were expensive and nobody had one. I don't know if the guy that designed this has left the company but there is room for a normal Hornby/ Zimo decoder. All you have to do is release the coal from the coal bunker, which on mine clipped in and a space opens up in which to put the decoder. Whoever designed it mean it to go there because if you notice there are loads of cooling holes around it to allow air in. Forget the gaugemaster omni, it is about 1 mm too tall.

@Bulliedboy
The TCS DP2X-UK is currently £19 - just checked on the TCS (UK) Website.

I was interested in these, do you have a webpage? When I Google them all I get is their retailers who are charging £39.95.

Yes, the coal goes back in. I had a bit of an issue with my one where it kept blowing up decoders. I eventually traced it to an over soldered motor connection that was touching a wheel when it went round bends, so I got through two decoders. The Hornby and the Zimo 8 pin ones both fit, in fact it is probably one of the best fitments if you know about the coal coming out. I really wish Oxford would put it in the instructions like Bachmann do.

@Bulliedboy
The TCS DP2X-UK is currently £19 - just checked on the TCS (UK) Website.

I was interested in these, do you have a webpage? When I Google them all I get is their retailers who are charging £39.95.

Hi Colin

Sorry for the very belated reply. You have to Register with TCS, and then when you order you have to "login" - it's a very "round the houses" way of getting in. I bought three DP2X-UK decoders a month ago, and they were £20 - not sure if the prices are connected to the $/£ exchange rate as they are now £19. BB

PS: https://tcsdcc.com/ukoffice

• 1 month later...