Weights for wagons

Hello

I wondered if anyone had bought small weights to put in their wagons to help with weight? I have a couple of wagons which are light and on certain parts of the track the wheels rise slightly, but just enough to cause a derailment. Only happens with the lighter wagons, so the answer I think is more weight, which would keep the wheels down. I just do not know where you would get small weights that would work.

Any ideas?

Keith

Hi KE. I have always used bits sliced off the lead flashing used by roofers. It cuts easily with scissors and can be bashed into any shape needed using a light hammer. Mine was free - leftovers from a roofing job my son had done on his house. Otherwise you could try fishing weights.

If the wagons have plastic wheels, a massive improvement can be had by swapping for metal ones, make sure the axles are the right length though. I have also used weights from pet shops designed to hold plants down. You can get a big roll off an online auction site very cheaply. Remember it’s lead though and toxic.

I aim to get my wagons to weigh around 30g using a variety of methods. Initially I used very fine lead shot poured into a recess underneath the wagon and glued in with superglue. More recently with Hornby/Dapol 20T LNER/Ex LNER, I have put two 10mm stainless steal bearings in the hopper which is hidden by a Dapol plastic coal load.

It would be interesting to know if the light wagons are a particular type or one offs as I have found identica; types with their steel weights missing. The most noticeable was the above mentioned hopper. When originally made by Airfix (and some Mainline, it has a small metal weight but this appears to have been discontinued sometime before Hornby took on its manufacture. Although I have found that both those with and without needed the ball bearing trestment.

81F,

A bit of fat finger syndrome creeping in there!blush

Interesting that you say 30g. Unfortunately I cannot remember the details but I thought years ago someone had posted on here a formula/calculation which suggested weights for different axle spacings / wagon lengths.

Hi Keithp, depending on budget, It may be possible to use adhesive window lead, it comes in various width and lengths. A quick look on eBay I found a 50 metre roll starting at £19.00. This works out at 38p. Per metre. Simply cut to length and stick on your rolling stock.

A friend of mine who was a keen angler, used to go to local scrap yard, buy scraplead and melt it in an old pan on a gas / camping stove.Lead melts at around 330 degrees centigrade, he then made a mould by cutting a suitable size recess in a block of wood, poured in the molten lead, left to cool down

Extreme care is of course is needed together with protective work ware.

Health and safety would have a night mare today.

I found that the simplest solution for my light wagons was to use 1/2p, 1p and 5p coins. These are all useful weights. They can be unseen by using blue tack to put them underneath the wagon or placed inside and then covered them with a load. You can also experiment and add more or or move and re-stick them to find the optimum number and place. You can even recycle them if no longer needed!

Many anglers used to make their own weights. Most tackle shops sold the moulds and I was once given a load of leaded windows that I had to take the glass out of. No way I’d do it now! I don’t think you can buy lead fishing weights any more. A lot wildlife has died from lead poisoning after eating the weights left or lost in rivers and lakes.

In my youth (when we had gas) I did something similar but used the grooves in an old stainless steel draining board as the mould. I then hammered the ingot into shape of about the right size to fit under the floors of the kit-built wagon I had just built.

PS I would advise against using the pan for food afterwards to avoid the risk of Lead poisoning.