Elite no power

bunnybantam

Hi all.

So today I decided to go into the loft where my lay out is located. Before I bring the ladders down I always plug an extension lead from the loft into a plug socket on the landing. When I did the fluorescent lights flickered but wouldn't light. So I unplugged and plugged back in again, and the lighting came on as per normal. So I then lowered the ladder and went on up into the loft. However the elite was blank showing no power whatsoever. There must have been some power reached the layout on the initial first plug in. Because the dcc concepts point decoders were lit up. I thought it might be the fuse in the elite's plug, but having replaced it there was still no power. I've tried it in other sockets but still no joy.

There was no smell of any burning from the elite or the elite's power adaptor.

Do any members no of, or have experienced anything similar and know what the cause could be?.

The only thing I can think of is the recent warm weather we've had. But that's never been a problem in the last 7 years the elite has been in the loft.

Nothing on an Elite, but I have had two occasions where high tech electrical products have been fried because the power arced when making an input mains electrical connection. For example, does this mains power socket you plugged into have its own switch. In other words, did you push your three pin mains plug into a live socket. If you did, then maybe there was some arcing if the plug was not inserted briskly giving the lighting symptom you described. Arcing in the mains supply can cause extremely high voltages to be generated, much higher than the base 250 volts AC, it is possible that either the Elite power supply or the Elite itself has been electrically damaged.

You really need access to a multimeter so that you can measure the output of the Elite power pack on the DC coaxial connector. It should read 15 volts DC with centre pin positive. If this output is present, then it looks like the Elite is damaged.

@Chrissaf

Hi Chris yes I did plug in while the socket switch was in the on position.

I've used a multimeter on all the settings an it didn't show any reading on any of them.

Can I just check with you i used the meter correctly.

I had the red multimeter pin stuck into the power supply jack,that was plugged in and switched on at the mains?.

You can't measure a voltage unless you use BOTH meter probes. The meter should be put on the 20 volt DC voltage scale. The red probe goes into the inner DC connector hole and the black probe is pressed against the outer metallic barell of the DC connector.

I have removed your posted qoutes where you didn't add any new text. The blue button with the white arrow is not a 'Reply to this post' button. It is more efficient to scroll down to the bottom of the page and write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply' text box and then click the green 'Post Reply' button.

Use your meter with the same settings on a 9 volt battery to prove that the meter you are using is OK. Take the Elite power supply downstairs and use a normal power socket to prove that there isn't an issue with your power extension wiring, and as Brew Man says check the power supply plug fuse before consigning the power supply to the 'its faulty' bin. I would advise against trying to find a non Hornby power supply. Hornby have stated to me that the power supplies are specifically designed for working with their DCC controllers. Also, the DCC connector is 6.3mm / 3.0mm which is an uncommon size and not found readily on the majority of commercial power supply products.

Best man and Chris.

Yes the first thing I did was change the fuse,I also tested the meter on a battery ,albeit on a 3.7 v vape mod battery.And yes I've tried it in other sockets downstairs.

If it's the power supply all well and good,my only worry is there's no way of knowing about elite's condition till I get one.

Hi all.

Well having done a Google search,one of the posts that came up was from this website.The person in question mentioned that they had purchased a toshiba laptop power pack. I had noticed them for sale on ebay so I purchased one..It arrived this morning ,and my elite appears to be all ok .I won't know for definite until I connect it back up to the layout.

Would just like to thank you all for your help.