The 'M' Suffix

Ozwarrior

This was raised on another forum but I thought I'd mention it here. If a Hornby point has an 'M' after the 'R' number it means the distance between the rails and the plastic check rails and vee are less. The number is stamped on the underside of the point.

I presume this is to accommodate the finer scale wheels of modern stock to improve running. I suppose the question I am asking is are all points now 'M'? A second question is was this change publicised? I'm sure it's a positive development but I don't have

spares of both to compare.

The M Suffix was also used in Tri-ang days for the Carplay series i.e. M/1715 R.A.C Patrol box, there's the Minic motorways RM series i.e RM901 Railway/Motorway Track Level Crossing, Minic Motorways M1568 3.4 Jaguar Continental, RML Model Land series i.e

RML1 Village Inn, and of course spares with M series numbers. Just to add to what has been said and make things even more confusing...lol.

This is a question about points (turnouts) and an M on those R numbers. In the context of train sets/packs numbers such as RxxxxM are usually mail order catalogue items as stated above. With regard to points I have no idea.

I have noticed that the latest sets of points by Peco have tighter check rail and frog clearances. My Hornby GWR 'Toad' brake van will run through Peco points bought twenty years ago no trouble but there is a distinct dragging through the latest turnouts.

All are to code 100 (coarse scale) but now they are showing tighter clearances for sure.

Is the only answer to re-wheel everything and go finescale?

Archived