Hornby on Yesterday TV Channel

rvinalaff

Yes, I agree about Sam, I like his reviews but when he does silly things like that it puts me off taking him seriously. He has obviously not heard of losing your reputation by doing something silly. I am sure in the terms of the producers he is good television material, young and dynamic.

As to the program the thing that surprised me was the smoke unit, I have fitted them to my locos in the past, they never smoked like that. Thing he didn't mention is the heat distortion to the body and the oily residue it leaves everywhere, nice layout though although I have seen it in many Hornby videos.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi JJ, submitting the evidence will be a time consuming affair. When contacted by Guiness they stated that every individual unique model must be photographed, and a description of the item verified by three independent persons, and a list sent in. This may be that I have to take 4000 plus photos etc.

I have emailed them asking if all items need to be in the same location at the same time, on display. If that is the case I will have to rent a suitable location.

As you appear to be around 60 miles from me, there may be an open invitation , for perhaps a video. Unfortunately at the moment I am recovering from a broken foot, so everything is on hold.

Regards

Hornby tried doing that on their 1980's models like Stowe. I bought about 3 of them, but when I look at the bodies on all 3 of them they are all slightly distorted. Not as bad though as Stowe, where the reflective tape fell off. Sadly the oil makes the tape not stick any more. I think a better solution is to pot it in a die cast chassis where there is metal to disperse the heat. That was an old Hornby Princess loco, there is no way all that would fit into the latest Princess with the sloped coal bunker, it is pretty difficult to get the TTS decoder and speaker to fit.

Yes 96RAF mine eventually got to that with a lot of effort. Probably the Zimo soundcard is a bit bigger and I used one of those Road and Rails latest speakers. Not that I was going to use it but even if I wanted to, the TTS for Duchess is no longer available. Anyway looking at yours that is a preproduction build. The coil of wire on the DCC sound decoder is the killer.

As to the latest program, I am sure I am going to complain about the 0.33mm difference, just in case I am not. Sorry that is the least of my worries, I think someone forgets some of us just run the things. I am more interested in the front bogie derailing over my Peco slips. Someone on another site said that if Hornby used common motors it would effect the detail, amazing response since an awful lot of us have been trialling those cheap Chinese ones.

@ New Lad :- Well that is a very kind invitation of you 🙂 I'm sorry to hear about your broken foot - I hope it heals real soon & that your not in much pain - you said that "you appear to be around 60 miles from me" - where about 60 miles away from are you from me - which town or city I mean??? Yeah doing a video sounds fun...😉🙂🚂🚂🚂

Seeing as the program highlighted them doing tests on a class 73 TTS Decoder. I wondered whether they were thinking of upgrading their current class 73 mechanism. Then thinking about it as of late most of their "Sound Fitted" locos are the Railroad Plus type so perhaps that is what they are aiming for.

@colin

There are two service sheets for the 73 and the only real difference I can see is the later one has NEM couplings. The motor bogie is the regular Railroad style with a can motor in a plastic chassis. I presume you are talking about an update to an all wheel drive heavy metal chassis.

I wonder why they didn’t use a 73 to run the test decoder instead of that 66.

The dual mode sound is good though being able to flip from diesel to electric mode on the fly.

Yes 96RAF the class 73 is the old Lima offering, I had 3 of them bought in the 90s, one at full price the other two when a model shop was selling off old stock for charity. Fortunately Peters Spares was doing all the bits to update them to the latest Hornby specification so that is what I did. The new one is a bit quieter and doesn't draw so much current. They probably used the 66 as that is what they had lying around, probably didn't have a class 73. Dapol make the best one although they do have a habit of derailing. I just like the look of them. I think they still use them for freight around the South East which is probably why Hornby was playing with them.