Cutting Flexi Track

Brew Man

May I offer a word of advice on using the Xuron track cutters?

DO NOT attempt to cut through the track webbing at the same time as cutting the rail. At best you will end up with a poor cut and at worst, you run the risk of twisting the rail out of the chairs as the pressure exerted on the top and bottom of the rail will be uneven. (I know, I've done it! face_with_rolling_eyes) It's always better to remove the webbing at the point where the rail is to be cut first. (Sorry if I appear to be teaching grandmothers to suck eggs!)

Side cutting pliers and a cutting disc in a dremel look-alike to dress off. Cheap and nasty but it works.

I modified a pair of old side cutters by grinding the cutting face flat, taking care not to lose the temper. They worked fine until I lost them in a clear out. I also have a flexi-drive with my mains Dremel clone but it eats the thin disks. My previous cheapo rechargeable one was useless and apart from saving the accessories it went in the bin.

I also found it was easier to cut off a sleeper or two at each end to facilitate fitment of rail joiners rather than trim away chairs. The sleepers could then be dressed and slipped back into the gaps later.

Hi 96RAF.

I paid £2.00 for a second hand rechargeable dremel look alike with all the bits but just as useless as yours sounds to have been. It was a 6 volt jobbie so I scrapped the battery, installed a co-axial plug connecter in the base of the handle and ran it off my old Triang P5 transformer/controller. Works a treat and via the P5 is variable speed to boot. I confidently expect to burn out the motor in due course but it has been going like this for 6 years or more, so it doesn't owe me much.

Agree with you about the sleepers - makes things much easier.