Wrong Power Track?

roythegrass

Six years ago I bought a Hornby R1073 "Venice Simplon Orient Express" British Pullman premier boxed complete DCC train set. (Considerably extended since.)

In recent times I’ve had problems with locos stuttering/hesitating over points but in particular over the power track so I’ve removed this and ordered a replacement. I noticed that this power track is marked Hornby R6206 which I believe is for analogue only. The replacement I’ve ordered is R8241 being specifically for DCC.

Strange that Hornby included the wrong power track in the set.

Would this account for the stuttering I’ve been experiencing?

Thanks

Roy

Sorry if my post appears in large bold letters. It was copied and pasted from word and I have no idea why it transferred in such large letters.

Mod comment: The font of your post has been corrected in a mod edit. This forum does not handle text pastes from Word very well and should be avoided if possible.

It may not be the wrong power track. Both analogue and digital ones may have the same number moulded in to them. Bit of a cost cutting exercise. Many models and parts have been made with the same part number even though they are totally different.

There was a period [possibly about 6 years ago] when some DCC Train Sets were incorrectly shipped with Analogue power tracks. R8206 not R6206.

You are correct, the R8241 is the correct power track for DCC operation. The R8206 can be modified for DCC use by removing the Analogue suppression capacitor. it would be prudent to open the R8206 included in the set to see if the capacitor is present or possibly removed at the factory during this early Hornby DCC Train Set marketing period.

forum_image_61707278480d0.png.1c6179927ed0261df4d00336af033f2e.png

The Analogue capacitor in the R8206 [and R602 and R8201] distorts the Bi-polar [alternating] DCC signal and can cause all sorts of strange things to happen, from loss of locomotive control to missed commands to no loco movement at all. It is possible that 'stuttering' could be an observed symptom of the capacitor, but I think it unlikely as you say the locos stutters primarily over points and the power track. The effects of the capacitor would be expected to be observed on any piece of track, straights and curves included and not be confined to specific track piece locations on the layout. Points are notorious for showing up any loco current pickup issue.

There was no need for a new power track - you could have just modified the old one if necessary as told of by Chris.

To fit the new one you need to trim the chairs off the four rails and push the fishplates back until they are flush with the rail ends. Fit the other two to the power track in a similar manner. Drop the track into place and work the fishplates back along with a flat bladed screwdriver until they are aligned as per normal. Connect the power feeds and pin down as required.