***2022 Range Announcement...***

JJ73

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't even know that they restocked items, I thought once they had done a production run that was it. As for new models being late, well that is nothing new, even though Covid and Shipping delays have made it much worse. I was trying to work out how many items from this years catalogue that weren't in last years one, they had actually delivered. I can think of only one the Clan class, but I am sure there are others.

I think all locomotives are 'limited edition' nowadays - only a fixed number are made.

Availability depends upon their popularity.

Hornby can occasionally extend their production run, but this often appears as a different model - name / number - with the same die / mould.

Al.

As ever this is just a case of buyers thinking they are the only party in any transaction and seem to think that sellers / retailers are of little importance. Selling out is always a much better option for any retailer than have tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds of stock sitting in store rooms for years. Most business fail due to cash flow issues, too much money tied up in too much stock.  Why produce one loco as a run of 10,000 when you can produce two differently names / numbered versions of 5000 each thus allowing a buying two and not just one. It’s a nonsense to think Hornby or any retailer or shop should keep stock for years just in the hope that someone is going to eventually buy one. There is not that many model shops left to split a minimum production run between so they need to shift them as soon as possible to get their money back pay their staff and dare I say try and earn a living something that many buyers don’t seem th think they should be allowed to do.  

The basic problem is that Hornby have to estimate the number of each new model they are likely to sell around a year before it becomes public knowledge and customer orders start to be placed, so that production slots can be secured in their contracted factories and production scheduled. (And yes, I know there are exceptions such as Terriers and 66s.)

While many years experience goes in to that calculation, they occasionally don't get it exactly right. As stated above, they will probably err on the low side to avoid unsold stock, but this of course can lead to disappointed customers if the model's popularity has been underestimated.

Unlike in the days of UK production within their own factory 'downstairs' when quantities could be adjusted (up or down) comparatively easily and relatively close to the model's release, Chinese production lines are less flexible around their other commitments and the 6-week sea passage to the UK means any decision has to be made earlier.

And this is also part, but not all, of the reason why some replacement parts are not always available; it is not easy to secure agreement for a particular part/pack to be produced, probably by a subcontractor to the Chinese factory, when the locomotive itself is not being produced.

I can see the logic in the production runs, what I can't understand is why they don't have stocks of NEM pockets and couplings. I don't know if my locos are unusual but they are always losing NEM pockets, by them simply dropping out. Similarly valve gear nuts are also an issue, fortunately just lately none have unscrewed themselves, but they do and then drop around the layout, again they don't do replacements without buying the complete con rods or valve gear. Next years preorders should be interesting, after this years issues, unless it is something I am absolutely desperate for I will just wait for it to come out and take my chance. I was interested in a Clan class loco, decided not to preorder and surprisingly got a brand new one for cheaper than the preorder price. I suppose the only thing I would like is one of those locos with steam, but will they be around next year? Of course then the dilemma of whether to order from Hornby, knowing if you really want it that is the only way plus if they raise their prices again by 10%, it will be the same price as the discounters.

AndyMac - No idea where you’ve gotten the impression that as customers, many of us don’t think sellers, and Hornby should make a living is bizarre.

Personally, keeping companies like Hornby afloat is something I’m keen to see, and I’ll buy their products to support that. But as a company, they have to provide us with the products we want, because if we can’t get Hornby brand, we’ll be forced to go somewhere else.

I was interested in the Hornby A1 in Black, I didn't want to pre order it so I checked on the Bure Valley website. It is listed as arriving in Winter 2021. Anyway I thought I would check on the Hornby website, amazingly the date has got pushed back to Winter 2022. So that is one for the new catalogue.

The whole world is scrambling for electronic components right now. Games consoles, GPU’s, home appliances, the iPhone 13 and even our beloved Elite controller. I imagine Hornby is no different in this and is struggling to get hold of components needed to make certain products.

I’ve had an Elite controller on preorder for maybe 4 months now. Aaaany day now..

• 1 month later...

I would be just happy if they can deliver those items that were on the 2021 plan. I fully understand the issues of Covid, Brexit and the Suez but there is no point in promising other items when they cannot guarantee the back orders on the 2021 range.

Just responding to the issue of production runs Hornby did not do themselves any favours. To exclude several of the major retailers, such as Hattons, does not help them in forecasting batch runs. The announcement earlier in 2021 regarding prioritising supplies was just a childish marketing ploy that will hurt Hornby in the long-term. Having pre-order estimates from major retailers is by far one of the major ways of estimating production runs but by limiting these sources cuts off a major source of information that does not aid profitability even though this "prioritisation" was done for profit reasons. It forces me to reconsider my orders from Hornby and go to other suppliers in certain cases - not the desired effect. Well, lets wait and see.......

I can't wait for tomorrow morning (provided the website can keep up with demand) to be able to see what might be delivered possibly by 2025. Items announced in January 2020 are still a year away from arriving.

In respect of preorders, is it Hornby policy to hold the launch price if you order with them direct? I cannot see that written anywhere. Usually, I order through my local model shop, where I get 10% off RRP. But as we see now, items announced in 2020 have had 2 x 10% increases applied to the RRP. Have I lost out by trying to support my local shop? Which incidentally cannot give me any guarantee (despite Tier 2 status*) that I will even get what I ordered 2 years ago, as in their words, they place an order, and get what they're given by Hornby. It is a poor show Mr Kohler. I can handle a long lead time, just let me know when it is announced. We are then able to make a better judgment on whom to order it from to get the best feeling about our purchase.

* My shop ordered 6 x W1's from the first batch, 5 for customer orders and 1 for stock. They only received 4. Some poor person lost out there.

Sadly Simmo099 that is what you have to do if you really want the product, order it from Hornby. Sad for the local Retailer but hopefully eventually Hornby will get the message. I must admit though I doubt there is much room for further price rises, but as most of their Locos run one to two years late, probably not a bad idea. The P2 Prince of Wales was in the 2020 catalogue, I think my original order was with Hattons but we all know what happened to Hattons, it got transferred to Hornby about 9 months ago, which although I didn't know it at the time means I might get it 20% cheaper. Given all the nasty things Hornby have been up to lately I would not be surprised if they bin that promise.

I must admit I am fascinated as what Hornby will announce as a next product, seeing as they have not fulfilled much of last years. Perhaps some new Hornby Dublo products or possibly a loco fitted with steam or even a new class 43 with the new couplings. Then of course probably a repaint or renumbering of existing locos.

I expect to see some new "names" in the original (as built) Merchant Navy range - as Hornby have produced the loco in different formats, they can almost produce whatever they like. I would like to see a re-built with a name not used before, but I think that is highly unlikely.