***2022 Range Announcement...***

JJ73

Delivery dates aside, I am super excited to see what Hornby are announcing this year.

I have a load of stuff I'd like to see, but they can mostly be summed up by saying new-tooled Railroad range products for the modellers who aren't that bothered for super detail and are being priced out of the hobby. I say new-tooled because the old Tri-ang stuff is really showing its age now, and loco mechanisms have come so far in the past 20 years. Specific models for this range? A simple pannier tank would be nice, not had a 57xx in the range for a while now. Also some more modern trains, particularly modern MUs, as I have said in the Wishlists section.

It'll be interesting to see if anything's announced regarding Oxford, be that new products, brand swapping, collaboration or whatever.

I think a lot of people will be hoping there aren't many more duplicate projects, things that other manufacturers are already well into developing. Wether they do it deliberately or coincidentally without knowing of the competitors' projects I don't know, but it has happened far too much.

I'll see you on Wednesday when the website is back online!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm here before the rush it seems, checked out the new range on my way to work and I'm impressed by the variety included! New wagons for the era 1 L&M right up to the new Greater Anglia class 755, exactly the sort of thing Hornby should be doing in my opinion.

I love the Tri-ang branded train sets, they look very classy and aren't just rehashed Hornby train sets either.

Live steam is back! Not my area so far but I am in need of a Prince of Wales in the next few years, so I might venture into that eventually...

Loads of new Mk3s, bound to make lots of people happy, as well as new liveries on the class 43s, however I still can't get my head round the price on those.

Pleased to see more Railroad Plus items, might get my hands on the large logo 47. Really pleased to see the class 40 at that price too, £96.99, not sure why that's in the main range and not Railroad plus though? That's my top loco pick for this year anyway.

Very cool to see the Percy mould being done in BR black, crates some fun modelling opportunities for us Thomas modellers.

Those are my initial thoughts, will probably be back later with more :-)

“Live steam is back! Not my area so far but I am in need of a Prince of Wales in the next few years, so I might venture into that eventually...”

Live steam as in a steam generator as seen on TV not live steam as in steam driven

FS, PoW and Black 5 with 21-pin sound at around £275.

The 2022 range is posted on RMWeb forum but it is slow.

Well done Hornby. A good selection for everyone. I will definitely buy a LNER Coronation set of coaches. Will sell the mailcoach set I have built (6 coaches built so far). But will finish the other 2 before selling. I have expected a GWR loco, a Saint. With prices going up as we should expect, I am being more selective and focused. Mainly model pre-war LNER.

Well done Hornby. A good selection for everyone. I will definitely buy a LNER Coronation set of coaches. Will sell the mailcoach set I have built (6 coaches built so far). But will finish the other 2 before selling. I have expected a GWR loco, a Saint. With prices going up as we should expect, I am being more selective and focused. Mainly model pre-war LNER.

The class 800 has had a 3rd price increase. The GWR re-run coming in autumn will now be £501 !!!! Up from the 2nd increase of £471 currently on the lner version still available. I bought my gwr version when 1st released @ £320 from my local antics store. A near 60% increase in that short of a time is unheard of, considering inflation has risen 5.9% over the same period. I mean it’s over £300 for a 4 car pendolino pack that’s almost 20years old and should be in the railroad range. That’s up 200% since original release. I truly fear for hornby’s future if they don’t do some serious re-thinking, especially since they’ve basically killed the highstreet market with their bullish tactics to avoid the 20% discounts most offered. So they do have room to lower prices, especially if the leaked manufacturing costs for certain models are to be believed, they’re making pounds on the penny ( see rmweb as can’t post links )

My thoughts:

1. First and foremost, they need to find someone new to lead these videos. Simon is so boring to listen to, waffles a lot and half the time he sounds like he hasn't a clue what he's talking about. Montana's better but little things like referring to livery as 'large arrow' doesnt' bode well for a company who are trying to justify their insane price rises with the excuse of accuracy.
  2. Found it really ironic that Simon spent ages reminding us how train sets used to be every child's dream for christmas... when Hornby's prices are beyond the means of the average family.
  3. Train sets... Suprise, it's Mallard and Flying Scotsman again. Oh, and a GWR HST that features one coach?! What's going on? The 67 set is a nice touch, but more of that out-of-the-box thinking is needed. I personally cannot get my head around the Coca Cola stuff but clearly it's selling.
  4. Railroad - the 110 is a nice touch as is more HST liveries but the rest is underwhelming. Are you seriously telling me they can't create a couple of new liveries for the Austerity tank and sell it at under £60?
  5. Steam - totally underwhelming. Just more A4s, Coronations, Princesses and MNs, plus a few more terrier liveries and an M7. Aside from the M7, they're all classes I'd love to have on my layout... but also aside from the MN, they're models that have been in the Hornby range for years, so it's nothing to get excited about. No other smaller or freight locos aside from a limited-edition run of the Fowler 4F and nothing for the industrial modellers. The retooled Black 5 will be an asset, though no doubt at an intergalactic price. Good to see the bravery with the Turbomotive - more of that please!
  6. Diesel - not my area but it doesn't look like much is new
  7. MUs - Clearly the 455 is a big innovation, well done to them. I hope it does well so they continue to innovate. Return of the 423 is welcome as well.
  8. 800s - Simon stating that the TPE one is simply known as a 'Nova' when there are 3 different fleets under the Nova banner isn't great. The extra coach packs for the 800s will be welcome though.
  9. Coaches - the LNER Coronation is a great innovation, well done. Love the SR restaurant car though no doubt it'll cost about £80. The BR departmental 6-wheel coaches are interesting too.
  10. PlayTrains - Good work!
  11. Beatles - I am so confused but if it gets people into the hobby, so be it.

Overall, I am massively overwhelmed. It's so heavily express passenger-focused. As someone with a bias towards steam, I am pleased that modern image modellers are finally getting more variety but I am disappointed.

I ordered a couple of the steam generator and a Hornby Dublo loco. I doubt we will see the steam generator locos until 2023, the Hornby Dublo one I suspect will be late this year as they seem to pull out all the stops on those ones. It is probably as they are a much higher profit item. I only order ones on the Hornby website that might run out or will be so delayed that it negates any price rises.

I ordered a couple of the steam generator and a Hornby Dublo loco. I doubt we will see the steam generator locos until 2023, the Hornby Dublo one I suspect will be late this year as they seem to pull out all the stops on those ones. It is probably as they are a much higher profit item. I only order ones on the Hornby website that might run out or will be so delayed that it negates any price rises.

Vespa made me laugh & I kinda agree with him there - for some of the 'Higher Prices' - you can pay between £300.00 & £586.99!!! (that is the highest price that I could - for the "R30229 BR, Class 370 Advanced Passenger Train, Sets 370001 and 370002, 7 Car Train Pack - Era 7"

I've noticed a few things - yesterday there was a 'pop-up-thingy- which said :- Spend £100 and save 10% - Spend £250 and save 12.5% - Spend £500 and save 15% & yet if you join the Collectors club - it says - "Benefits include 10% off all online orders." Also if you go to your local model shop - they will do it cheaper - doesn't make sence!!! 🤔🚂🚂🚂

Also I've notice - that last years free Club Loco (worth £34.99) which was this...

forum_image_61dc14119a997.png.d141953c8fcd9dd13eb3a8128a01d915.png

Is very similar to this Model Loco (worth £42.49) basically the same thing with a slightly different design & of course a higher price!!!

forum_image_61dc1412c1172.png.6133ac533803becbea24c2a8aec61a75.png

What do you think??? 🤔🚂🚂🚂

£411 for the new Flirt 755 units, yet they only have a cheap 3 pole motor. If Hornby are gonna try justify these 20-40% price increases, then maybe use quality materials, and actually implement some quality control & fire whoever is in charge of shipping/packaging as my 1 eyed hamster could do a better job. Surely you’ve heard of bubble wrap ( no woke excuses about fearing Gretas wrath ) just protect our overpriced models please 🙏

The best thing in the announcement is the steam generator for some of the bigger steam engines. The worst thing is the 'Titfield Thunderbolt' set which is currently being developed by Rapido Trains under license from Studiocanal who own the film rights. Why do Hornby have to copy others? Oh and the prices. £326 for a pair of HST power cars. Loco prices are reaching ridiculous levels - thank goodness I don't need anymore.

So stuff theyve done before ( FS / Mallard ), a titfield thunderbolt that's just been announced by rapido, class 800 coaches ( still awaiting the "in stock" azuma ) and some rather random beatles and coca cola wagons. I can feel the excitement.