Class 395 Blue Rapier coach confusion

John-817867

Can anyone help me with Class 395 Blue Rapier Railroad series coaches. I bought some extra coaches for this set and ended up with coaches with an intercity EXPRESS logo instead of a southern highspeed logo. They seem to carry the same Hornby R4438 number as well as the coach running numbers 39212 & 39213. I am confused.

@John

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.

Intercity Express logo was applied to the Class 395 Javelin set which had the same toy train hook coupling as the Blue Rapier (southern highspeed) and London 2012 Olympics sets (bespoke logo), but different livery. These had darkened windows, no interior detail and no DCC socket.

The later DCC-Ready Class 395s had interior detail visible through clear windows, a high level Cyclops light on the end cars and the more complex couplings.

I meant the Javelin, BlueRapier and 2012 Olympic models were more basic and shared the same toy train couplings but obviously had different liveries.

The later models such as Sir Chris Hoy, Sir Steve Redgrave and others had interior detail, etc as described.

There are lots of variants in 3 and 4 car sets, plus extra coaches. E.g.

R2972, R1153, R2821, R3813, R3815, R1139, R4999, R4382, R4383, R4452, R4453, R1207, R2961, etc.

Hi John, did you buy the extra coaches loose or in a original Hornby box. If bought in a box what was the R number on the box?

If loose, It maybe these coaches were split from the Argos special set, R1207 Intercity Express.

The set and spare coaches from the set can be found on Ebay if you search Hornby R1207.

Will check my sets and compare tomorrow.

Regards

@96RAF

From their introduction, the true Javelin models had plug & socket couplings rather than the pin & loop arrangement of the much more basic Blue Rapier version and had interiors.

@New Lad

Thank you for that info. If the only appearance of Intercity Express branding occurred in a set commissioned by Argos, I doubt whether Hornby would have produced add-on coaches so my guess is that the OP's coaches have been split-away from the set and, if bought boxed, the boxes are misleading. The only add-on coach I have been able to unearth for the Blue Rapier is R4438, coach 39012, in standard blue SouthEastern High Speed livery.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your inputs. It does appear that Hornby did indeed released a Class 395 set as an Intercity Express, the only difference from the southern HISPEED being the branding. My only dilemma now is what to do with the surplus intercity Express coaches, back on to E-Bay I suppose.