Class 37 Sound Fitted Startup ( Bachmann ) Help Required

maw78

I've just purchased a Bachmann class 37 factory sound fitted loco and am a bit confused by the startup sequence and am not sure if it's a fault or I'm doing something wrong ......

The instructions list 3 possible start ups which are F1 on-off ( failed start up sequence ), F1 on-off-on ( long start sequence ) and F1 on which is the quickest start up sequence.

If I stop the loco to reverse or pull into a station the engine sounds like its idling down but then if I add power again the dcc sounds are like a revving engine with no movement. I'm using a hornby select controller and the whole F1 on-off options have confused me.

I bought it from derails models who I've never used before but I know they test all locos before shipping which makes me think I'm doing something wrong !!

The 3 start-up options are perfectly reasonable, you choose which one you prefer at the time.

As for the sound of the diesel engine revving up; this is to try and emulate the real thing. These locomotives are driven by Electric traction motors so the diesel engine is often heard revving up to drive the generators up to the required current output. So the speed of the diesel engine does not match the speed of the loco.

I doubt there is any fault with yours.

Nearly all sound equipped model locomotives have some form of moving off delay (particulary diesels and diesel electrics) this is perfectly normal. Many non TTS sound decoders have an optional CV that can be adjusted to turn off this sound feature to force the loco to move straight away.

All of my sound locos exhibit a moving off delay (mixture of Hornby XS and Bachmann, so all Loksound decoders).

I have a class 121 with sound. This decoder is a special by MarksTrains. Pressing F1 is the engine start. If you press it again with 2 secs it gives a failed start.

When you increase the throttle the engine revs and then the 121 moves off.

My Class 20 Bachmann which came with sound, F1 is the sound on and when pressed there is a delay while it goes thru the start sequence. Increase throttle the loco goes thru eng revs Inc and brake release then it moves.

With TTS decoders in A4s and Castles F1 is the turn on for the sound. When you increase throttle the loco doesn't move until it has gone through various sound stages as per real loco. Move off is at 3/128.

If F1 is pressed while sound is ON, it goes off and the locos move immediately that the throttle is moved. If the loco moving with sound OFF pressing F1 causes the sound to start immediately and at the correct level for the prevailing condition.

This seems to be the thing with factory fitted sound options, they behave like the real thing. On my Rails 18000 fitted with DCC sound I found it wouldn't go very fast until I realised you have to press a function key to get it to run on the Gas Turbine rather than the diesel engine. With the sound switched off, it behaves like a normal model train.

Driving a diesel is not like driving a car, where the engine speed follows the throttle and the road speed matches the engine speed. Response is instant.

As stated a diesel engine simply provides electrical power to drive traction motors, hence why you hear a diesel rev up, move off slowly and the engine can come back to idle as the loco gets moving. You can also have the loco parked up with the engine revving to provide electrical power, often used thus as a static generator for track working gangs.

TTS has what is know as extended cold start, similar to your on-off-on sequence and when this is selected (TTS uses F9) the engine goes through a random set of failed start sounds as you switch the main sound on (F1) then when the cold start function key is released it kicks into life and settles at idle. All very realistic per the prototype.