Hornby R.150 4-6-0 Class B12 Loco

Deem

I don’t know how easy they are to find, but the original China made versions of the R.150 type B12 locos (Not the newer Super Detail models) had a modern, probably Type 7, motor in an adaptor to fit the chassis in the same way as the original X.03 and New Type X.03 motors.

Yes, the worm gear wheel would have to be changed to match the China motor’s plastic worm.

The later models have plastic centred driving wheels and different pick ups…but the body mounting is the same as the original R.150 models.

2000 model B12 Service Sheet 218

forum_image_61f71e7393673.thumb.png.67e4f4adb6a5d711b477ee53d02a9c1b.png

@Rufnut Thorston

Thanks for providing me with detailed sheet and correct part number and at the moment nothing is available. I will keep an eye and If I see the rear braket (S.4197) I sure will be picking up straight away. That is the conversion for Type 7 motor with Adapter instead of X04.

Parts required are as follow for X04 motor to Tyoe 7 conversion

L.5715

S.4198

S.4197

I hope I am correct?

Regards

@508006

So you were working on chassis that had already been converted from an X04 to an X03 motor? How did you get the X03 worm to grip the far smaller diameter Type 7 motor shaft?

@Deem

Tri-ang/Hornby never made a 5-pole version of the X03/X04 motors - were they offered as conversions and do those you have bought fit the loco chassis?

The Type 7 motor metal carrier conversion also needs an additional S1022 screw.

@96RAF

Thanks for your input by what I have read online on various forums, you tube video's, all explain that 5 Pole motor have much more torque so I can use them even more slowly then X03/X04.

But I can't be sure or express my opinion until I have received the Motors and test them myself.

To get the worm to fit the motor I had to use some copper tubing with an internal diameter suitable to grip the motor shaft without the need for glue.

I then had to open out the internal diameter of the worm to allow the tubing to be a snug push fit so the worm had no chance of coming loose.

As fof my loco chassis it had not already been converted from an X03/04 motor because when I bought the loco off ebay it was advertised as spares or repair with no motor, when it arrived I set to making a vase for the motor to sit on out of 40 thou plasticard.

Once the level of plasticard was correct in order to allow the motor to sit correctly although this might sound sacrilegious to do this, I glued the motor to the plasticard in the orientation that it would need to be to sit within the loco body.

Because the loco also had no pickups, I had to make my own for it and as I have been making my own pickups for locos for a few years now, it didn't take too long to get the loco on the move once the motor had been wired up and tested ( initially wired backwards but quickly corrected ) and enough weight added both within the boiler and the cab, I soon had the loco doing light engine test runs to make sure it worked and once I was satisfied with what I had done, she was coupled up to wagon or coach stock to find out what loads she could take.

The 1 main point I should make here is that with the motor holder/retainer whatever you prefer to call it, the only extra screw you need is to screw the 2 parts of it together, however, this is best done once you have the motor wired up before fitting it into the holder/retainer as it would be a beep of a job to do if fitted into the holder/retainer before wiring up.

I won't ever say it was easy to do but I will say it is worth doing, it makes the locos much more smoother and controllable, also shunting is easier to do without derailing stock all over the place.

Hope this helps but please don't hesitate to ask if you need further info.

Another question arises from this conversion, which worm puller should I use or if my fellow modeller have opinion or experience on these?

Bea Gear Puller, Pinion Puller Removal Tool, Used for RC Motor Pinion Parts H3F1 4894864240612 | eBay

Rc Motor Gear Puller, Professional Tool Universal Motor Pinion Gear Puller RB4G5 194452432202 | eBay

MS95 # HORNBY TRIANG WORM PULLER P7B

Pinion Removal Tool (GM665) for £8.95 + Postage from Lendon of Cardiff

Lendons Of Cardiff -  GM665

Mod note: Original long URLs truncated and made clickable & link for Lendons added.

@Chrissaf

Question, I have received these Worm and matching gear, from same seller whom I bought the motors from, now I have 8 pair's.

I don't need all of them, so how do I share with my fellow modellers if anyone need it without sharing personal information so we follow the forum rules.

Please advice

Also I have 2 X04, one with original Worm

Second one without Worm.

I don't need them and if anyone need they can take from me if forum allows.

forum_image_61ff073378e94.thumb.png.7e8cd1631eb4fe9faea1f53237793d84.png