problem with Railmaster V1.4

Malc58 said:

Has anyone got a problem with railmaster V1.4 track layout on the front screen. to view at 100% its fine at 50% you get red joints on the angle parts of the track but not the straights

cheers

Malc58

Yes,

I get that also, at 50% and 75%.

I understand this has been fixed.

All you need to do is download the latest setup file directly from www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup140.exe and install over your current program. The version number is the same.

Remember to right-click

on the file after it has downloaded and "Run as administrator".

idlemarvel said:

I'm glad they fix problems but I do wish they wouldn't update the code without updating the version number. How are we supposed to know which version we are on and if we have the latest? Poor practice IMO.

I

agree with Dave on this. My understanding is that Railmaster searches for new versions on startup, so if 1.4 is subsequently "tweaked", it should become 1.41, otherwise it wouldn't be downloaded and users would not benefit from the "fix" if they didn't read

this forum.

Maurice

stevecamden said:

So are you saying you have to do what LMSTim posts or should it update to 1.41 fix automatically even though it doesn't say its 1.41?

What I am saying is that if any change to the software is not indicated by

a version mumber change, then you would have to do what LMSTim suggests, because it won't automatically update.

Thing is, there isn't such thing as 1.41 - its just something 'we' have invented to indicate 'new' bits to Railmaster that aren't released as a automatic download to users of Railmaster. I can quite see why Hornby and/or the developers don't want to enter

into a weekly update - we would be on 1.47 by the end of the month or a daily one 1.473

I know there isn't a 1.41, that is my point. 1.40 was made available, then a few days later, after many would have benfited from the automatic update, it was altered to correct a small issue, and the new version made available with the same number, 1.40.

This means that those who had already downloaded 1.40, would not automatically download the newer version, whereas if it had been 1.41, they would.

Precisely, only the automatic downloads to Railmaster users ( current users) have version number increments. If you want to update interim to a automatic update then Hornby would have to give a new version number every time they made changes to Railmaster.

This could be several times a day for all I know - you would have mayhem. There might be a different version between 10am and 3pm on a particular day

If you want to update ( interim) and perhaps I will, we'll just have to write a note in a little black

book with the date of the update and whatever version you want to give it, somewhere between 1.4 and 1.5.

Version 1.40 was released, MALC58 noted a small issue with it, a few days later, a corrected version was released with the same number, 1.40. Those who had automatically downloaded the first release would not get the second because the software, on start

up, checks the version number and would not have downloaded the newer version because it had the same version number.

What you'll find is that the changes are so minor that they do not warrant an official version number change. Those that have 1.40 without the minor updates won't miss the new bits. Those that are keen to ensure they have the very latest version will check

the forums, figure out they can do a manual update and be happy.

From my experience, if any serious issues arise a new numbered update is made official, but as has been said, because new bits are being added all the time, you don't want to have to update

pretty much every time you start the program.

It seems that updates are being made available for automatic update every three or four months, which is manageable, I would say. There have been a couple of major-ish updates during Summer and inthe run-up

to Christmas since the program was released.

The way to handle small fix changes is to increment a lower level number, call it modification level or build number. So it is still 1.4 but under the covers it is 1.4.17 or whatever, displayed in the "about" window. So Hornby don't have to make public

announcement about it, or release new documentation, but anyone who wants to know they are the latest version can check what level they are on and download the latest version if they want. Noramlly the release notes are updated to list the problems fixed and

to include any instructions for new functions if the user needs to enable them. This is standard software development practice.

• 4 weeks later...
LMSTim said:

I understand this has been fixed.

All you need to do is download the latest setup file directly from www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup140.exe and install over your current program. The version number is the same.

Remember

to right-click on the file after it has downloaded and "Run as administrator".

Archived