Pickups [when converting to DCC]

Chris-K

Rob, with the partial charge programming limitation, you can clearly get round it with a switch off when programming, but what about pre-charge before programming?

Chris K, turning off DC Running may well avoid DC Runaway if a large stay-alive capacitor is almost discharged as that will pull the decoder rail volts down when DCC power is restored. It will depend on the decoder and its sensitivity to this. Then it’s no different to initial switch-on.

Will, I can only remember positive discussion on here on stay-alives with comprehensive coverage of various types incl with super and standard capacitors, various terminologies describing them and tips on fitting to decoders not specifically adapted for their use (connection points and fine soldering skills needed on decoder PCBs). But then I may have remembered the positive and discarded the negative?

@Fishmanoz.
Will, I can only remember positive discussion on here on stay-alives with comprehensive coverage of various types incl with super and standard capacitors ............ But then I may have remembered the positive and discarded the negative?

I've looked through my comments and can't see a reference to negative comments re. stay alive, although I've definitely seen mention of the fact that 'if your system is running as it should why would you need them?'.

Are you referring to my observation on the LAISDCC brand, whereupon I did say I'd experienced negative comments, despite my trouble-free experiences?

Maybe you assumed I'm referring to comments on this forum?

Hi Will, yes, I was referring only to this forum.

I think, with everything, there's always some degree of snobbery and as I said, the LAISDCC decoders are much easier to damage if not handled carefully.

The quality of the soldering of wires is not a patch on the alternatives I use but at half the price, it's the same as the £12.00 Asda and £65.00 Levi jeans I have, both an absolute bargain for what they offer.

In my experience "stay alive" is only really needed with locos that don't have enough pickups or a long enough wheelbase. So if you take a modern Hornby loco with pickups on loco and tender wheels then you don't really need "stay alive". If you take a Bachmann with no tender pickups, an old Hornby ringfield motor loco or an 0-6-0 then you probably do, especially if they have traction tyres.

On the other hand, there probably aren't many short wheel base locos, 0-4-0s, 0-6-0s etc. with enough space inside to accommodate stay alive capacitors.

If your points are all electrofrog with auto frog switching I'd have thought the need for stay alive would be minimal anyway.

I suppose it depends on the loco my 0-4-0 Hornby Caledonian after I had wired it to a 6 pin socket had enough room for a YouChoos stay alive circuit board and capacitor. I use electrofrog points and sometimes 0-6-0s get stuck, unfortunately as the points age they distort a bit, so not making them absolutely flat.

I think we all distort a bit as we age, Colin joy. But you're right, some locos still stick a bit even on Electrofrog points. I've just fitted Gaugemaster auto-frog switches to all but one of my existing points and they work flawlessly. Very pleased with them.