1/72 Mitchell Invasion stripes

Chris-811107

Xtradecal X72195 do a number of Mitchell Mk.II decal options for the time period you require (actually there is 1 listed on eBay at the moment but Hannants are a stockist). But aftermarket sets don't usually provide the invasion stripes like Airfix occasionally do, so I think you will have to paint the stripes!

But aftermarket sets don't usually provide the invasion stripes like Airfix occasionally do, so I think you will have to paint the stripes!

^^^This. I suggest you get sheets of black and white decal stripes, Xtradecal do these with stripes printed in different widths.

I've had better results painting them on. most of the time you will need to paint on the white anyhow to that the non-opaque decals do not show the camo pattern underneath. as long as I'm painting the white, I might as well use 5 mm masking tape and paint on the black as well.

Decals can be frustrating to me. not knowing the age of the decal until you try putting them on the model and they don't work. small decals are much easier to deal with if they refuse to stay on but large decals like invasion stripes is a huge hassle trying to get an old decal to set around compound curves and complex shapes.

My first model with invasion strips was a Typhoon, when I first started to get back into the hobby. I opted for painting them on ( cheap airbrush kit at the time ) and after the results of the finished stripes, I'm 100% sure I will not use decals. You have to remember these stripes don't have to have perfect edges as they where often painted on with hand brushes in the field. HTHforum_image_621be6ed3f33e.thumb.png.4f39de306b813a6492f6d578f60d943f.png

My first model with invasion strips was a Typhoon, when I first started to get back into the hobby. I opted for painting them on ( cheap airbrush kit at the time ) and after the results of the finished stripes, I'm 100% sure I will not use decals. You have to remember these stripes don't have to have perfect edges as they where often painted on with hand brushes in the field. HTHforum_image_621be6ed3f33e.thumb.png.4e602b872a05ba6c563a25e1111f186d.png

Great results !! Stripes look fantastic,

I hand paint them, rough and ready as they went on rough and ready in real life. I also allow camouflage paint to show through in places as the paint used in stripes was not meant to last. By allowing under colours to show through I believe it is more authentic, only my opinion but many of my methods and beliefs at odds with people on here. Past caring. It is what suits me and how and where I have to work on models.

You are correct of course; the stripes were not neatly applied but my only issue with hand painting is the inability to control the thickness of each coat. In 1/72 scale it doesn't take much to cover detail. The only way I can think of to "mess" up the stripes is with chipping the paint. I am certain that brush strokes that were visible on real aircraft would not be as obvious on 1/72 scale models.

As time goes on, I learn more and different ways of building. Maybe I'll get it someday?

Randy

• 2 weeks later...