Moving on to DigiKejis DR5000 instead of Digitrax DCS52 or Roco Z21

Deem

@Will Hay

My mistake, you are right, it is march,

@Sam's Boy

Topic have changed because only your review or opinion was shared and that was for older model, but Z21 app function have convinced me towards Z21 and more info was share here in forum which makes me more comfortable to buy one. Also app allow me to control layout while I can walk about as well.

Initially I did like the controls of DSC52 but app function has convinced me toward Z21.

• 3 months later...

Hello my fellow modellers

Further update

Eventually bought second hand Roco Z21 10820 with 3 Track output,

1 Main Track

2 Program Track

3 Sniff Bus

All seem to be working fine and loving the easiness of the app.

Just wanted to say thanks to Will Hay for his input and directing me to Roco 21.

Regards

I bought a DigiKeijs system for under £200. Admittedly you need a PC, but I already had an old laptop. As long as you have WiFi to the PC then you can run the Z21 app on you phone or tablet to talk to it. There is a really good video on YouTube by A New Zealander.

Update

I had to return the Z21 unit because there were few things missing, so I contact the seller, first he agreed to issue partial refund then changed his mind, asked me to return the item.

I am going to look to buy another one or look into what ColinB suggested, DigiKeijs - which model you bought and does that unit come with separate programming track, what are the amp and can this unit read and write CV's? How do you connect to Z21 app or if possible maybe you can share the video from youtube.

Regards

I bought a DigiKeijs system for under £200. Admittedly you need a PC, but I already had an old laptop.

What software do you use to run this system? What do you see as the advantages of this system compared to say the Elink & Railmaster. I have seen the video by the New Zealand guy. The short bit he showed with software it seemed a bit clunky to me.

The PC to device is software supplied by DigiKejis. I suppose I like it because I can control lots of trains within the program. Really simple to use. The Roco software is a free app that runs on any phone. I must admit I didn't find any of the software clunky to me, it seemed perfectly logical, very similar to the stuff I used to write. I have never used Railmaster in anger, I loaded it onto my PC and could never get it to run properly. It reminded me of some of the packages I used for CAD in the 1990s. I suppose I should have persevered but seeing all the posts on here about it, perhaps not. I suppose it is what you are used to, I really like the DigiKejis front end, there are some issues like it is possible to have two "popup" submenus with the same loco number (it should give you an error) but other than that I think it is great. As to the New Zealand guy's video, it told me all I wanted to know, my only criticism and with the the DigiKejis instructions is they don't highlight that you must have the device connected to your PC via WiFi as well as USB to get the WiFi with the smart device to work.

I have been running Railmaster with my Elite under a virtual machine on a Mac for well over 10 years. And I really can't remember having any problems whatsoever!

As far as the "New Zealand guy" goes (his YouTube channel is Station Road I think) he said he didn't like the clicking noise the Elite made when pressing the dials. He didn't mention any other problems with it. As far as I know he was not using Railmaster with his Elite. It made me laugh really because he is using solenoid point motors and they make a louder click than the Elite!

ColinB

I received DR5000 today and all seem to be working via USB but WIFI is another story, I can connect to my PC or IOS phone or Android phone via WIFI but neither will work when using WIFI

PC with windows 10 pro connected with DR5000-SERIAL via WIFI will not control the DR5000 or

Either phone (iPhone or android phone) connected via WIFI but Z21 won't recognise the DR5000 WIFI IP Address of 192.168.16.254 as per the WIFI instruction from PC software.

Either you or someone else could help I would be very grateful.

Or I will have to return the unit for full refund.

Regards

Yes, this bit is the bit that is a bit tricky, DigiKeijs don't explain this very well. You have to go to the wireless menu on the PC and connect to the DigiKeijs, you should then find it will work. I used a really old PC running Windows 7, I will go up in the loft and retrieve it off the railway. to double check what I did. I do know I spent ages getting it to work, but the really important bit it making the DijiKeijs part of your PC network. It does seem weird connecting the DijiKeijs with wireless and USB, I assume there is a reason for it. The only big issue is by connecting to the DigiKeijs your PC it is no longer connected to the web, that is why it is best to use an old PC.

Actually it wasn't that difficult once I knew, if the guy in New Zealand had added that to his video it would have made things so much easier. I did mail DigKeijs and they hinted at the answer but didn't realise I was stuck on the basics. If you don't want to use the Wifi app and just the USB it is a doddle. The other big advantage is it doesn't need a license, so you shortcut all those license issues you get with RM. I just like the fact I can control 5 locos at a time by just clicking on a windows combobox. I can also control all the loco sound functions without going through multiple menus on the Elite. I assume you can do this in RM. The product just looks like something I would write so probably that is why I like it.

Thanks ColinB

My surface pro 3 with windows 10 Pro control the loco when connected with USB and USB is main source of connection.

But when WiFi connected and I remove the USB, z21 can't seem to communicate with DR5000.

I wrote to Dijikeijis and there response is

"If you are changing the DR5000 to network mode and want to use the DR5000 software, that's not possible.

When you use network mode you will need to use external software like itrain or jmri"

I will try later today itrain or jmri to see if they works via WiFi on desktop or phone.

itrain is available in play store but have to install desktop version as well which then will work as server to connect to itrain app on phone.

I just wanted to use z21 with DR5000 so I can use wireless control instead of static control of my layout.

Hopefully we maybe able to solve or Dijikeijis can help to resolve this issue.

Regards

No, you don't remove the USB lead. You need to have the USB connected to the PC but you also need to have the WiFi on the PC connected to the DR5000, instead of your internet server (the box from BT or SKY). You then, if you are using a smart phone connect its WiFi to the DR5000. They do explain on one of the posts why you have to do that way, the PC acts as a message centre for the DR5000. I had the Z21 app working on an old Samsung smart phone so I know it works.

No, you don't remove the USB lead. You need to have the USB connected to the PC but you also need to have the WiFi on the PC connected to the DR5000, instead of your internet server (the box from BT or SKY). You then, if you are using a smart phone connect its WiFi to the DR5000. They do explain on one of the posts why you have to do that way, the PC acts as a message centre for the DR5000. I had the Z21 app working on an old Samsung smart phone so I know it works.

Thanks ColinB again for you input, I spoke to DCC Train Automation whom are Dijikeijs authorised dealer, I spoke to two person and although I haven't bought the item from them, they were excellent and still try to help me, their advised was to do following which I am doing now,

I was advised to uninstall Dijikeijs app version 1.6.2 from windows PC.

Disconnect the DR5000 from PC by removing the USB cable.

Install version 1.6.1

Connect the DR5000 and click on USB port to update the firmware which will install 1.6.1 firmware, after that

Click on LAN Connection, from drop down menu change from expressnet to Z21 and click OK

Hopefully this will sort out the issue and I will have Z21 working.

Will update further later once I have completed the installation.

Regards

Further Update on Dijikeijs DR5000 and Roco Z21 app

I have managed to follow all the steps as per the advice given to me by James at DCC Train Automation,

after following all the steps and at last everything worked as it suppose to be and quite pleased with performance.

Regards

Further Update

After yesterday setup, I started the unit today without PC/Laptop and try to use the DR5000 just with Z21 app and it worked.

USB was not connected either, but DR5000 still worked.

I thought this is quite an achievement and wanted to share who ever is using Dijikeijs DR5000.

As suggested yesterday please see below image showing reading CV via Z21 connected to Dijikeijs DR5000 on programming track. Most Decoder have to programmed using Manual programming via PC not via app.

Regardsforum_image_62c5fa5032b67.thumb.png.78bb9f2148fbd00ae0d150f1af29a32f.png

As it stands this thread has moved away from its original question asking for a review or feedback of a certain product.

That has been well answered by several members and has arguably drifted extremely close to active promotion of a competitors product.

For these reasons this thread will now be locked and posts can no longer be added to it.