R297 Pacer

Bighandz

Hi guys. More help needed.

I have just got hold of R297 Pacer Twin Railbus.

I believe this is quite an old model and I need to know whether it can be converted to DCC control.

I have been told that each car contains a motor, one of which runs in reverse at all times, depending on direction.

so as I ask originally, is it possible to convert to DCC?

if so, what do I need and how is it done?

Many thanks for any help that anybody is able to offer.

As no-one running DCC has yet responded, my thoughts are that fitting the decoder is simple enough - just unscrew the motor/wheelset retainer from the chassis to expose the motor, unsolder the pick-up wires from the motor terminals and connect the decoder to those wires and the motor terminals.

However, the motor is concealed beneath the floor/seats moulding and there is no space for the decoder as well so the moulding will have to be modified or the decoder attached to the inside of the roof.

Others will be able to advise re the need for two decoders (if there is one) to control both (type 7) motors and the programing thereof.

Not sure what you mean by one motor always runs in reverse dependant upon direction. I think you mean the motor bogies are wired such that both motors run in concert but mechanically the cars are juxtaposed. This is no problem. A single decoder of adequate amperage handling will run both motors but wiring from car to car will be difficult. I found dual motoring a different loco that harmonising the motors to run nicely together was difficult. Using a suitable single decoder for each motor would allow start voltage and other motor characteristics to be finer tuned to achieve good dual running. Not all decoders support these features. Both decoders are given the same address. It would seem from GS description that finding space for the decoders may be the biggest challenge.

i think service sheets 141 and 141a cover your model - available to download from Lendons of Cardiff (link in the Handy Links sticky post at top of General Section page). Service sheet 233 covers similar but later model.

Thanks for that folks.

I have downloaded the service sheets as suggested and will pass these on to my engineer.

Because I am blind I have a guy who fits my chips for me but even he threw up his hands when he looked at this particular model.

Hopefully the service sheets will give him a clearer idea of what he needs to do.

Further to my earlier post, I have discovered in the DCC section of the Product Support menu, a stage-by-stage illustrated description of how to fit a decoder to the later China-made version of the Pacer by removing the body and this shows the decoder sitting on top of the chassis below the floor so space may not be as restricted as I thought.

Interesting that it recommends replacing the suppression cap, whereas we are used to snipping it out and discarding it. Given that it is there to comply with an old standard written when radio interference was an issue it is not likely to cause an issue if it is not there.

Most of those guides need updating as they show insulation tape which is a no-no these days.

I believe you are correct about the suppression, but they probably need it to comply with some obscure EMC regs.

Scalextric always retain ‘iron-man’ as they call the suppression rig on their digital cars, likely due to the intermittent and hence radio noisy contact made by the pick-up braids.