Identification -the snapper-4780

Ivor1707822849

Hi there, helping clear a house and come across an unboxed Hornby train. It has the identification of the "the snapper - east Yorkshire regiment", LNER 4780. I think it is 2-6-2 layout (but no clue) .

Anyway I couldn't find it on the Hornby site, I suspect I am not asking the right questions.

Anyway if anyone can tell me more information please let me know.

I have no idea if it works or not.

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum. I’m sure one of our knowledgeable members will be along shortly with advice.
Selling is not permitted on this forum. Neither is direct contact between members.
R-

Thanks Roger and noted. Is there a way for me to edit the first post?
Gary

@Gary

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique name.  Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

Thanks Roger and noted. Is there a way for me to edit the first post?
Gary

Yes, you can edit your posts using the vertical ellipsis [three dots] in the top right hand corner of the text box.

If you would be so good as to alter your ID as per RDS’s request that would be much appreciated.

R-

Naugytrax, thanks I can see the sense in that and can explain why I couldn't find it on the search site or through Google.

So a couple of a questions, if it's a kit, then where do I find the kit it was based on. Or do you think entirely scratch built?

Also in this photo is the whole thing. The bit that puzzles me then is the um coal carriage (sorry non technical term) tender? This has Hornby on the base (don't have a picture.of this but can get one) . So I presume that this is from another engine/kit?

Thanks Ivorforum_image_625d9732a8546.thumb.png.ec71574621aefc29d4c60b36fa1de94b.pngforum_image_625d973e92d5e.thumb.png.f797e58be05051d8a1ed5428a7ef3c88.png

And that tender was also used as the motor unit for Hornby's B17 and D49. If the locomotive wheels can be turned by hand, the motor is probably in the tender. If the tender wheels can only be turned with considerable resistance and two of the wheels have rubber traction tyres or grooves to take such tyres, it is almost certain that a Hornby motorised tender has been used to propel a free-running locomotive (or, because of the weight of the kit, it is possible that both loco and tender are motorised).

Just a small point, the loco is "The Sapper" not snapper. BR later number 60809. Seeing this post of one of my secret days out to York when Green Arrow had just come on to shed in the NRM. I had a friend who let me get up into the cab and chat with the crew after a mainline run. I was wearing a cream coloured coat. When I got home my wife wanted to know were I had been. "Oh just out with the camera" I replied. "then why do you smell of oily smoke and have the impression of a seat back on your coat in soot and oil?" Caught out good and proper that day. The seat was typical LNER curved top and it made a great print in soot and oily steam on the coat. Luckily it came clean after two washes.

All, thank you very much for this detective work.very helpful.

I think long distance wins the prize. Really for the pointing out the obvious....which in my excitement I had missed...(so not that obvious to me :) ). I had included the word Hornby and hadn't got anywhere in my search.As soon as I took it out it got much better. Anyway thank you long distance and everyone.

So it's either a kit with a hornby tender or Bachmann Branchline 31-550B-HR Class V2 Gresley 2-6-2 4780 "The Snapper" or similar.

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Now the question is what to do it with it? Not overly commercially minded and don't like the idea of it being destroyed. so I think I will recommend it's given to a local enthusiasts group and they can make an appropriate donation to a associated charity.

Thanks, Ivor

A very Lovely 2-6-2 Loco you have there Ivor, also you said that you weren't sure if it works or not - try this - get a working 9V square battery & put the terminals across the wheels & see what happens... 🙂🚂